Question about 6th gen emblems

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are the emblems "Civic" and "EX" really put on by glue? I read that somewhere, and I checked some Honda site and it didnt show that the decals were screwed in. Does anyone know or has anyone done this?

civic betty

little red rice rocket
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes they're just glue. some use fishing wire, just be careful of your paint. only the honda emblem is fit into holes. you can use glue solvent for any remaining glue, but make sure to wax again afterwards to protect your paint b/c the solvent will take off wax but won't hurt your paint. good luck.

Girl Mechanic

Yes im a mechanic
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i tried the goo gone crap, and it took it all off just i have a ghost civic and ex there

bhacker9

ebp si
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i used bug and tar remover on mine and you cant tell where it was, no outline or anything

Import_Girl

AKA Mz Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SCCRules said:
Are the emblems "Civic" and "EX" really put on by glue? I read that somewhere, and I checked some Honda site and it didnt show that the decals were screwed in. Does anyone know or has anyone done this?
yea its just glue....i used a fishing line and a hairdryer to heat up the glue and then just took them off like that, then i used a plastic razor blade and carefully scraped off the rest of that sticky stuff...

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I was worried about takin the paint off with it. Can any of yall post pics of how it looks please? Thanks, and thank you for helpin.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i removed mine ages ago. fishing line works great, i made sure the area was well lubed (i used car wash fluid) then ran the line down. some residue stayed, which i removed with goo gone very easily. a clay bar should remove it almost immediately.

don't forget to wash, POLISH, and wax the area where the badges used to be. . . yes, polish is MOST important. wax only protects, polish is what oils your paint. . . think of it like hair conditioner ;)

this is what she looks like badgeless

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That looks pretty sweet Anfrey. Nice and clean look. Thanks for postin up your pic.

Import_Girl

AKA Mz Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SCCRules said:
Yeah I was worried about takin the paint off with it. Can any of yall post pics of how it looks please? Thanks, and thank you for helpin.
i took mine orff like a year ago and it looks fine

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just pulled mine off with my fingers, no residue or evidence left behind at all. It came off nice and clean, it was winter so it was cold out, that might have helped.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wouldn't recommend using a credit card or anything smilar for fear that it could damage your paint. I pulled mine off with my fingers after heating with a hairdryer. Use Goo-Gone to remove the residue (I used the hairdryer and my fingers for the heavy "rubber cement" residue). Follow up with a nice detail and you won't be able to see taht they were ever there.

The Honda H is held on with screws though.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
amelia did it the right way... hairdryer is one of the safest ways to loosen up the glue, even though it takes f'n forever. a heat gun is best but you risk fading your paint.

civicnoob

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hm..i was worried that since, the rest of my car was exposed to sun that if I remove the civic and EX, it might lbe a slight color difference since my car is a 1997 and its 2004, thats alot of yrs with the sun beating on it and that part behind the civic protected, but I did want to remove it. But if y'all think there won't be any color different it shall be GONE!!, i like the cleaner look.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There is likely going to be a color difference when you remove your badges. As long as you detail it (as both Anfrey and I have mentioned) the color should match up. Though your paint under the badge will be more vibrant, the rest of the car's paint has not faded in the sun. It actually has what is called oxidation, which is a whitish film over the entire car.

I still remeber pointing it out to Isaac before we detailed his car. He couldn't see the oxidation and I think he thought I was a bit crazy for saying I could see a blue film on his green car. Once we finished he could see the differnce though. And that was at night time. :lol: Too bad I didn't get to see his reaction to seeing it in the sun.

A detail job will make your car not just look shinier, but also the paint will appear deeper than before (since I doubt it's been properly detailed in the years since it's production, as most cars haven't). =)

When I bought my Milano Red '98 EX it looked like any other Milano Red early 6th gen Civic on the road. Now the other owners tell me their cars looked like mine new. It just takes a bit of time and effort.

Last edited:

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Awesome pics yall! Look very clean!

So the only risk is paint color diff. and bringing off your paint. hmm.. I dono. If I took I took it off, got all the glue off, washed the area then polished, and then waxed would that take away the 2 diff. tones of color?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
polishing will help you out GREATLY... make sure you get good polish (i recommend the meguiar's professional line glazes... they come in tan bottles... i like using show car glaze and new car glaze) and u LET IT SIT FOR 30 MINUTES before you remove it. this gives the oils enough time to soak in

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have used a polish made by House of Kolor that works very well. It is a liquid but works very well and wipes off easily. I used it on Zak8022's green EJ8 and just on my car today for the first time. Oh well, better go wax her up real quick.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I only have the Turtle Wax polis stuff. I've used it on my car before gives a pretty good shine. Will that do?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I guess it'll do. I don't recommend Turtle Wax myself though. :( I sortta think it's crap. I prefer Meguiar's and Mother's products. The High Tech Yellow Wax and NXT Wax from Meguiar's are probably my favorite waxes. I only use off the shelf waxes for my car so far.