Question about coilovers

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm looking to buy some coilovers to lower my 98 civic about 1-1.5in. and I've found a guy selling some in my area. Just wanted some input on what to expect from them. They are tokico shocks with skunk 2 coilovers. Thanks.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2811689416.html
Don't buy them...

Those Tokico shocks are OE replacements, nothing performance oriented about them and are not designed for stiff springs and/or a very low drop. Those coilovers looks a little suspect to me. Hard to tell in that picture but they almost don't look like Skunk2 sleeves. The springs may be from Skunk2 or may be stamped Skunk2, but the sleeves don't look right to me. Either way, Skunk2 sleeve coilovers should not be matched with those Tokico shocks. The seller claims "ride smooth", yeah right... Not buying that at all...

My advice, save up and buy a good, reputable setup brand new. Used shocks are always iffy to buy. Springs you can get away with but need to know what to look for and I'd only buy from a trusted source.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My advice, save up and buy a good, reputable setup brand new. Used shocks are always iffy to buy. Springs you can get away with but need to know what to look for and I'd only buy from a trusted source.
x2.

Clubcivic store sells nice suspension parts. I've seen springs, shocks, spring shock combo, coil-over kits, and full coil-overkits.Browse it!

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for the drop you're looking for I'd get some progress cs-II's they run about $550-650, aren't ment to be dropped much more than 3 inches and from what I've heard, ride truly smoothly. just my .02 cents

alex_n/a

stocker
for the drop you're looking for I'd get some progress cs-II's they run about $550-650, aren't ment to be dropped much more than 3 inches and from what I've heard, ride truly smoothly. just my .02 cents
by that, do you mean better than stock or close to stock?

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
by that i mean they wont ride like the tokico's that he showed in the link, and that they wont be nearly as harsh as any other set up because of they lower spring rates they are set at. the spring rates you can choose from are 250, 300 and 350. when you cnsider the fact that civics come with i think 175 front and 200 rear the difference will be noticable but not by much if you were to order the 250 springs with them. all that just to say that, compared to a lot of other setups the cs-II's will feel smooth because they have lower spring rates

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
personally, i would even consider 350 lb/ft rates to be on the soft side. regardless, progress makes an excellent product, and at ~$560 i'd even consider them a bargain