question about fuel filter replacement, 91 civic lx

tomp

I purchased the Haynes and the picture of the Banjo Bolt is a little different than the illustration shows. The Banjo bolt on the car has nut attached to it. Is this what i should be sticking the wrench on? It seems like on the weird shaped bolt, the 17 mm does not fit snugly, besides getting a good turn on the bolt.
I also think the problem removing this thing is maybe i am turning the wrench the wrong way. I am going counter clockwise, but that seems not to be working.
Can someone out there , please tell me if these banjo bolts, and service bolts are supposed to be removed by a clockwise or counter clockwise motion with the wrench. Btw, the car is a 91 civic lx, if that matters

tomp

Counterclockwise.

Thank you for that diagram. That is pretty much the same pic as in the Haynes, which doesn't show that 1 banjo bolt with a threaded bolt attached to it, like mine is. Doesn't matter, i just wanted to be totally clear, that both banjo bolts are to be removed my using the socket/open face wrench in a counter clockwise position, just like how that 10 mm service bolt is removed. That seemed to come off quite easy, but the other 2 seem to be quite tough.

RonJ

Banned
Post a clear picture. Use the fixed nut on the top of the filter to secure it while breaking the banjo nut loose. I use a scissor-like squeeze action with the two wrenches.

tomp

Post a clear picture. Use the fixed nut on the top of the filter to secure it while breaking the banjo nut loose. I use a scissor-like squeeze action with the two wrenches.
What size wrench do you use to remove the effin banjo bolt? , the odd shaped 1 i am talking about, 19 mm too small. Is it a standard?.

RonJ

Banned
What size wrench do you use to remove the effin banjo bolt? , the odd shaped 1 i am talking about, 19 mm too small. Is it a standard?.
The 6th generation Civic fuel filter is different and a 19-mm wrench fits on the filter nut. Perhaps yours is larger.

tomp

It would be nice if the Haynes manual would include that piece of info.
I would just like to know what is the easiest way to get this thing out? Can i use the fixed nut on top of the banjo bolt to remove it? Seems like Honda made this quite a difficult task, for no good reason. Why the banjo bolt on the 1 side, and a normal bolt on the other side??
It looks like its going to take a 20 mm or a 3/4, of course i have neither of those 2 sizes in the tool collection.
Can this filter be removed by the fixed bolt, or not?

tomp

The 6th generation Civic fuel filter is different and a 19-mm wrench fits on the filter nut. Perhaps yours is larger.

17 mm is the size of the nut attached to the banjo bolt. If i somehow got the wrench on that, will it turn, and also turn the banjo bolt?

RonJ

Banned
I'm unable to answer your question because your fuel filter nuts and bolts don't match with those shown in the service manual diagram. Is there a reason that you still haven't posted clear pictures??? This could help get you answers rather than guesses.

tomp

I'm unable to answer your question because your fuel filter nuts and bolts don't match with those shown in the service manual diagram. Is there a reason that you still haven't posted clear pictures??? This could help get you answers rather than guesses.
I have no way of posting any pictures. The 1st fuel filter picture you have shown is quite similar to mine, EXCEPT for the bolt under the service bolt. The diagram labels 1 banjo bolt, but not the other one.
On the right side(side closer to drivers side) , there is a service bolt(which i got out no problem), a fixed nut, and that OTHER banjo bolt, or whatever that thing is called. a 17 mm fits snugly on the fixed nut, and the OTHER banjo bolt(the one on the passenger side of the fuel filter). My problem is what procedure i would use to remove the drivers side fittings.
If i placed a 17 mm wrench on the drivers side fitting bolt, would that in turn , help remove that banjo bolt(which i have no correct size wrench to fit).
Or do i just have to go to home depot and either find a 20 mm open face?, or a 3/4 standard?
The Haynes is not being too helpful with this, since they don't show the exact diagram of a 1991 . There picture(along with the factory diagram)does not mention or show a fixed nut conncected to the filter below the service bolt, and above the banjo bolt.

Last edited: