Question About GROUND CONTROL COILOVER SPRINGS 2002 HONDA CIVIC

Ace92028

Gold Member
My car is complete stock when it comes to suspenssion, i was looking at getting the GROUND CONTROL COILOVER SPRINGS 2002 HONDA CIVIC for the price of 340$. It says sence they are adjustable i can go between 1-4 inch drop, im looking in doing around a 2 inch drop for my car. I do normal driving, no crazy racing/off roading, i just mainly want to get rid of the huge wheel gap. What im wondering is will i be fine just buying this set or will i need to purchase some other items as well? My friend said i needed to buy struts? and other dude said i should buy shocks as well? than my last friend said it should be good for a couple years with just this Coilover Springs Sleeves. Here is the link to the Item :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GROUND-CONTROL-COILOVER-SPRINGS-2002-HONDA-CIVIC-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d5Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d251644577585467540QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ120587259673

im sorry im sure you guys gotta deal with a bunch of idiots like me :(

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well im guessing you dont have aftermarket struts. The stock struts will go in no time when lowering a car. Also you will need to correct camber.

If you want a good set of coilovers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02-03-04-05-Civic-EM2-D2-Adjustable-Coilovers-Spring-/220768730899?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3366d77f13

I do not have them on my car but i have heard nothing but good things about them. Also the koni shock + ground control ive heard is a good set up.

To correct camber:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ingalls-Engineering-Adjustable-Camber-Kit-38950-/330561277595?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2005|Model:Civic&hash=item4cf6fcce9b
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INGALLS-FRONT-CAMBER-KIT-02-ACURA-RSX-03-HONDA-CIVIC-/360368299470?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2005|Model:Civic&hash=item53e79fddce

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My car is complete stock when it comes to suspenssion, i was looking at getting the GROUND CONTROL COILOVER SPRINGS 2002 HONDA CIVIC for the price of 340$. It says sence they are adjustable i can go between 1-4 inch drop, im looking in doing around a 2 inch drop for my car. I do normal driving, no crazy racing/off roading, i just mainly want to get rid of the huge wheel gap. What im wondering is will i be fine just buying this set or will i need to purchase some other items as well? My friend said i needed to buy struts? and other dude said i should buy shocks as well? than my last friend said it should be good for a couple years with just this Coilover Springs Sleeves. Here is the link to the Item :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GROUND-CONTROL-COILOVER-SPRINGS-2002-HONDA-CIVIC-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d5Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d251644577585467540QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ120587259673

im sorry im sure you guys gotta deal with a bunch of idiots like me :(
You will need to buy new struts. Your car has McPherson suspension which makes things a bit more difficult. You'll either need to buy some aftermarket struts that are full bodied OR shock inserts to use in your stock strut body. Koni Yellow Sports are a great product with a lifetime warranty. However for your car, they are inserts. Which means you'll have to gut your stock struts and install these. I've done it on an RSX-S(which is the same basic suspension as your car), it's not all the difficult but it does mean you wont be able to use your stock struts again. You could just buy some blown struts for dirt cheap off someone or get them from a junk yard and do it so you can keep you stock struts intact.

Using Ground-Control coilovers with a good strut will last you many many years. If for some reason something happens, both companies offer lifetime warranties so you're good to go.

I would highly suggest you buy the Ground-Control coilovers DIRECTLY from Ground-Control. This way you are sure to get their warranty and there have also been some fakes floating around on eBay so be careful. Pay the extra few bucks and be safe. It will also ensure that you get the proper springs/spring rates for your car.

Those D2 coilovers you linked are absolute junk. I'd never recommend them to anyone and would suggest staying far away from them. Definitely not worth the money.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You will need to buy new struts. Your car has McPherson suspension which makes things a bit more difficult. You'll either need to buy some aftermarket struts that are full bodied OR shock inserts to use in your stock strut body. Koni Yellow Sports are a great product with a lifetime warranty. However for your car, they are inserts. Which means you'll have to gut your stock struts and install these. I've done it on an RSX-S(which is the same basic suspension as your car), it's not all the difficult but it does mean you wont be able to use your stock struts again. You could just buy some blown struts for dirt cheap off someone or get them from a junk yard and do it so you can keep you stock struts intact.

Using Ground-Control coilovers with a good strut will last you many many years. If for some reason something happens, both companies offer lifetime warranties so you're good to go.

I would highly suggest you buy the Ground-Control coilovers DIRECTLY from Ground-Control. This way you are sure to get their warranty and there have also been some fakes floating around on eBay so be careful. Pay the extra few bucks and be safe. It will also ensure that you get the proper springs/spring rates for your car.

Those D2 coilovers you linked are absolute junk. I'd never recommend them to anyone and would suggest staying far away from them. Definitely not worth the money.
Really? I've heard nothing but good about them :what: but I have never tried them so I guess so. I stayed away from the koni inserts because they need modification(cut perch) to go lower.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Really? I've heard nothing but good about them :what: but I have never tried them so I guess so. I stayed away from the koni inserts because they need modification(cut perch) to go lower.
There's some pictures of those things failing floating around. I base my suggestions and decisions on what's been proven on and off tracks. Koni and Ground-Control have been around for years and are extremely popular in the racing community. Whereas D2 is either not heard of, never seen or a joke.

And yes, unfortunately because of the stupid McPherson suspension design, it is hard to get those car's low. Camber becomes an issue aswell.

Ace92028

Gold Member
So from what i understand i need purchase struts as well, i dont really feel like tearing my struts and getting new ones to put inserts on them. So what im looking at is get those Koni Yellow Sport Struts for around 450$ plus the Ground Control Coilovers for the 350$ and i should be set?

Ace92028

Gold Member
If i do a 1.5 inch drop on stock shocks, with the Ground Control Coilovers and i looking okay? or i still need those shocks? or will i need camber kit?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If i do a 1.5 inch drop on stock shocks, with the Ground Control Coilovers and i looking okay? or i still need those shocks? or will i need camber kit?
Since lowlife9 mentioned them, you would be best off getting the Progress coilovers, esp if you don't plan on doing any serious form of racing.

But to answer this question, yes, you will still need aftermarket struts. The "off the shelf" springs that come on the Ground-Control coiliovers are significantly stiffer than the stock springs. Even if you didn't lower the car very much, you'd still need aftermarket struts in order for your suspension to do it's job properly(IE: absorbing and a controlled rebound rate).

I can't say for sure if the camber bolts are needed with a 1.5" drop on 7th gen Civics. For the price of the bolts, it'd probably be worth it to get them though.

Just remember to get EVERYTHING installed and set right where you want it, then get your alignment done. Any changes to your suspension(height, adding camber bolts, etc..) will mean you'll need to get your alignment done over again.

Civv

I was looking into all this, but after I realized that buying coilovers are horribly expensive, i'm staying AWAY from that whole subject.