Question About Headers / Catback

prophetofsin

5+ Year Member
Hi, i currently drive a 1998 dx coupe. Recently I noticed a leak in my headers (probably due to rust) and am getting ready to change my headers.

I already saw these headers that I would like to use:

Megan 4-2-1 Header for around $169.

http://meganracing.com/products/product_detail.asp?prodid=282&catid=67

I am not really looking for a big performance boost, i am just looking for something that will replace my oem rusted out headers.

Since I am going to chance the headers, i also plan to change the exhaust system also since its probably rusted out also.

My question guys is this:

I saw a catback exhaust system on eBay for around $200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/N1-CATBACK-EXHAUST-96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-2D-4D-DX-LX-98-99_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33630QQihZ012QQitemZ220310792743QQtcZphoto

Does anyone (you or someone you know) have this exhaust system? If so, how is it? I am just looking for something to replace my oem exhaust, I don't really care for loud sounds or big exhaust tips.

Can anyone suggest a cat-back exhaust system that is 1) affordable 2) decent quality. My budget is below $400 if possible.

Thanks guys.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why not just change your oem header to another oem header?
this will save you money on having to buy an exhaust, and if your exhaust is
rusting and has holes, why not change that back to oem at your local muffler shop?

i would rather use oem parts then the parts youve listed. its not like your looking for performance anyways.

GohanBurner

Banned
5+ Year Member
As a rule of thumb, if you are going to buy anything off eBay make sure its name brand. Otherwise, you are just buying strung together garbage. But, since you aren't going for any significant gains then I guess it doesn't matter. They should perform well for you.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have the Megan Racing SS header. It turns purple / gold when it's warmed up. Looks cool right? Soon, they stay that color permanently and gets ugly. But if you don't care about that, go for it.

As for the exhaust, looks like eBay no-name brand. Not to mention it's got a huge coffee can muffler. I'm willing to bet it's going to sound like a hive of bees pissed off. It's gonna be raspy.

If you're looking for performance, don't waste your money on intake, header, exhaust. Especially on a single cam, and ESPECIALLY on a d-series engine. You won't get anywhere.

If you're looking solely to replace rusted out parts, keep your stock header on. As long as it isn't cracked, rust is 100% normal for the OEM header to do. Just keep the heat shield on so you can't tell. And just look for another OE replacement exhaust at a junkyard.

If you really want to change the parts to look cool, go for it. But like I said, the header WILL permanently change colors after a while. As for exhaust, it's out of your budget but I'd recommend the APEX'i WS2. It's aftermarket but it's almost as quiet as a stock exhaust but opens up a bit when you floor it. It even resembles a stock muffler (just a slightly bigger tip).

prophetofsin

5+ Year Member
rusting and has holes, why not change that back to oem at your local muffler shop?

i would rather use oem parts then the parts youve listed. its not like your looking for performance anyways.
well i don't mind that, but if i buy oem, isn't that used already? I mean i don't know if they have new oem headers and exhaust for my car.

I just want to get stuff that won't rust so easily, and a quick upgrade doesn't bother me either.

As a rule of thumb, if you are going to buy anything off eBay make sure its name brand. Otherwise, you are just buying strung together garbage. But, since you aren't going for any significant gains then I guess it doesn't matter. They should perform well for you.
Yeah, i thought about that. Well I am sure even nowadays there are some fake name brand replicas on ebay, the only way to spot it is to hope someone left negative feedback.

Yeah, im not going for any significant gains, this is just my daily driver to school and back, i just want to make sure it isn't deafening and won't look like i have a big ass fart can on my rear bumper. I know my car is slow as **** and I'm not looking to do any street racing. As long as I get a functional header and exhaust and my 30+ mpg im happy.

Thanks a lot for your replies though. If any one has suggestions as to what exhaust i can get on a budget, please let me know.

prophetofsin

5+ Year Member
I have the Megan Racing SS header. It turns purple / gold when it's warmed up. Looks cool right? Soon, they stay that color permanently and gets ugly. But if you don't care about that, go for it.

As for the exhaust, looks like eBay no-name brand. Not to mention it's got a huge coffee can muffler. I'm willing to bet it's going to sound like a hive of bees pissed off. It's gonna be raspy.

If you're looking for performance, don't waste your money on intake, header, exhaust. Especially on a single cam, and ESPECIALLY on a d-series engine. You won't get anywhere.

If you're looking solely to replace rusted out parts, keep your stock header on. As long as it isn't cracked, rust is 100% normal for the OEM header to do. Just keep the heat shield on so you can't tell. And just look for another OE replacement exhaust at a junkyard.

If you really want to change the parts to look cool, go for it. But like I said, the header WILL permanently change colors after a while. As for exhaust, it's out of your budget but I'd recommend the APEX'i WS2. It's aftermarket but it's almost as quiet as a stock exhaust but opens up a bit when you floor it. It even resembles a stock muffler (just a slightly bigger tip).
Thanks for the warning regarding the Megan SS Headers. And as to regards to the eBay muffler, yep, I'm concerned that my car would sound too loud especially since Im just pushing a stock dx. I was looking at the APEX'i WS2 also, and it is around $150-200 more than I was initially willing to spend, but it seems like a good alternative. I guess I'll just keep looking around.

Thanks for the advice.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for the warning regarding the Megan SS Headers. And as to regards to the eBay muffler, yep, I'm concerned that my car would sound too loud especially since Im just pushing a stock dx. I was looking at the APEX'i WS2 also, and it is around $150-200 more than I was initially willing to spend, but it seems like a good alternative. I guess I'll just keep looking around.

Thanks for the advice.
You could try to find a used WS2 but I doubt you'll find one.

May I ask why you insist on an aftermarket exhaust?

you will need a cat...
x2

Didn't even pay attention to the fact that he had a DX. :smackself:

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You could try to find a used WS2 but I doubt you'll find one.

May I ask why you insist on an aftermarket exhaust?

x2

Didn't even pay attention to the fact that he had a DX. :smackself:
im good like that..

all in all i think he is cheaping out and lowering the overall quality of the car.. but i wont even get into that..

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

:word: you get what you pay for man

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i don't mind that, but if i buy oem, isn't that used already? I mean i don't know if they have new oem headers and exhaust for my car.

I just want to get stuff that won't rust so easily, and a quick upgrade doesn't bother me either.

you can find the header used yes, or new. if you do decided to go used, just make sure
it doesnt leak via holes or cracks. use the correct gaskets and bolts, and you shouldn't have any
problems. if your worried about rust, i recomend you paint it. Paint will add a protection layer to
the metal, causing it to not rust, or slow down the process. I have friends with late 80's cars that are
using oem headers, and they last pretty long even without a layer of paint to protect them from the elements.

I always see oem headers, specialy D series, for sale on honda-tech. I've never seen anything over 40$.
tthats good bargin if you ask me. Im telling you, some of these oem headers can outlive some aftermarket ones. As for your exhaust, go to your local muffler shop and have them put in some new piping. thats what i did, and that was about 3 years ago. gets the job done.

if your going for performance, i first suggest you do some research on product development, and
what effects those parts will have on your hp/tq

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, you can get piping and a muffler at an honest auto shop for the money you are trying to spend on that 4.5" can. if you are trying to not be really f-ing loud you picked the worst exhaust for that it looks like. just go to a shop, i couldnt quote a price but it can't be more than that thing and you will get good parts that aren't just cheaply made for show if the shop is reputable. if you get a header you will probably have to switch the cat because the connections will be different which is more money AND if you are getting headers-cat-catback exhaust you kinda have to get an intake to balance the pressure out in your engine or else you can have negative pressure and your car will be even slower while being loud as hell. I would check an oem parts dealer like rockauto.com for stuff, they would have new standard replacement parts for a fair price.

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
stay stock and oem unless you are willing to put the money in to getting high quality performance driven parts. If you aren't looking for performance then save you and your car the hassle and get things that will serve it well.