Question for your 7th gens.

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys just a quick question.

My buddy has a 7th gen Civic Coupe LX, and his engine maitence light is on, he says it is just a kilometer thing, you hit so many kilos and it goes on. Not sure myself.

I was woundering If I could do the ecu trick with the paper clip, but I think it has to be obd1, is this civic a obd1? If so, can I do this trick to read the code and actually find out what it is?

Thanks.

ryanM

lol no thats not obd1, but the check engine light shouldnt come on after a certain amount of kilo's, only the maintenence required indicator does that.

btw, no 96+ civics are obd1 unless the person intentionally did the swap

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe there is a difference in the Maintenence light (which does turn on based on mileage) vs. a CEL.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
press and hold the trip-o-meter button for like 10 seconds, while holding it down crank the car and that should clear it up.

Za0G13

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what kinda maintanance is required when that light comes on anyway?

what is it telling you when it comes on like that?

maybe just an oil change?

mine came on like 2 1/2 K miles and i turned it off and just changed the oil on it. thats all i did.

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
got_sake? said:
press and hold the trip-o-meter button for like 10 seconds, while holding it down crank the car and that should clear it up.
okay, so wheres that at?

ryanM

tye said:
okay, so wheres that at?
umm right on the guage cluster, the little button you press when you want to find out how far a trip is or how many miles you get on a tank of gas. wow sorry. you should really know what a tripodometer is :lol:

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How many miles are on the car? Its just the car reminding you to do standard maintence. There is a difference between the engine light and maintence light on the 7th gens.

SRCIVIC

5+ Year Member
every 8,000 miles the check engine light will blink for a few seconds and the go away, when u hit 10,000 the light stays on until u reset it. This is remind u to change ur oil or do ur maintenance on the car (rotate tire and so on)

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So if I push in that little thing the code will go away, do I need to have the car running or off?

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tye said:
So if I push in that little thing the code will go away, do I need to have the car running or off?
I did this over a year ago, so my memory is a little hazy (pardon the pun...haha)

with the car off push and hold for about 10 seconds.
with the button still pushed crank car.
wait a few seconds and it should turn off.

bmyers4321

timmy the testie rules!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i didnt really read any of the posts but to answer your question there is something wrong if the check engine light it on. now if it is the required maintenece light then ya it is suppose to go on every certain amount of miles.

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We tried that trick, and it didn't work.

It is the required maintenence.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i went back and found the thread. I was a little off. Hold the button down as you crank the car, then hold for 10 seconds. Just in case I missed something, here's the thread.

*Click This*