questions

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i've got a couple of quick questions about an 98 si that my buddy owns, or Ex i guess

1/ the speakers in thh doors have 4 wires running to them whereas my Dx only has 2. What's the difference? And if he wanted to hook up aftermarket speakers, which wires would be used? seems to be red and brown, but it was kinda hard to tell, was looking at them in the dark

2/ to change the stock deck with an aftermarket, will it affect the keyless entry in anyway? he was told it was, i can't see why it would though

3/ the antennae isn't a power antennae or motorized is it? i don't think so, but just looking for confirmation...

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The keyless entry equipment is in the stock radio. If you take it out, the keyless won't work.

And the antenna isn't motorized.

As for the first question I can't help too much. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with an internal amplifier, like part of a premium audio system? But I don't know.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There are stock tweeters in his car, maybe that might have something to do with it? Honestly i can't see it, the positioning of the tweeters is so far away....doesnt' really make sense to me....

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the two wires to the door speakers is just there...i dont know the reason...but when you hook up aftermarket speakers....just use the same 2 wires that are on the pos. side of the stock speakers and connect them to the pos side of the new speakers. use all four. i think the tweeters get the power from the door speakers so thats why you have 4 wires going to them.

since its a 98 replacing the headunit will make keyless not work...however just can put your new headunit by the cupholders and leave the factory unit where it is just for the keyless to remain working

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do a search...its easy to jump two wires and make the keyless work with out the stock unit....

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
kaace said:
do a search...its easy to jump two wires and make the keyless work with out the stock unit....
its not so easy, why dont you find it...i know you can jump some wires to make the dome light work when you dont have the stock radio, but the keyless entry itself, is integrated into the radio...

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you're right...i got confused with the whole dome light thing...i rescind my last statement...

Ferio Vi-RS

I Heart BoA!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1. yes the stock ex tweeters are connected to the door speakers, 2 for door speakers and 2 for tweeters

2. there is a jumper harness so that you can install a after marker deck and also use your stock deck for the dome light and keyless (requires you to stuff ur stock deck into your dash or center counsil.

3. the antenna is manual. (i love reaching out into the cold to pull out the antenna for better reception!!! lol jk)

hopefully this helps you out.

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ferio Vi-RS said:
2. there is a jumper harness so that you can install a after marker deck and also use your stock deck for the dome light and keyless (requires you to stuff ur stock deck into your dash or center counsil.

you dont have to tuck it behind there, you could always relocate the aftermarket stereo to the bottom near the cup holders, or move the factory one down there...

Ferio Vi-RS

I Heart BoA!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
chadi said:
you dont have to tuck it behind there, you could always relocate the aftermarket stereo to the bottom near the cup holders, or move the factory one down there...

true i forgot about that! and yet i have that setup in my ride rite now. i think i should slap myself....