Quick b18c/b16 question

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm building my motor a little bit this summer, mating a b18c1 block with my b16 head and using the b16 head to keep (actually raise) my compression. I know I can use my b16 ecu, but do I have to use a gsr timing belt? I hear that you do because the b18c is a litte bit taller....thanks ya'll

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im pretty sure its the same belt

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks, anyone else know for sure?

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't know for sure but on my LSVETC a GSR belt was needed for the taller block and that was a B16 head. Even the timing cover had a space between the upper and lower.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'll have to use the gsr belt because of the block just making sure. Thanks JL

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After a google it is confirmed, a GSR or Type R belt will be needed.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ask snozepp117 or whatever hes doing the same swap

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Gsr belt or type R belt. B16 has a smaller belt and wont fit. Ls belt must be used if an Ls water pump is used. But if you use a b16/type R/Gsr water pump, then just use the gsr one.

And btw, changing the head on a gsr which has a 41cc-ish cc combustion chamber to a b16 head which has a 42cc-ish combustion chamber will actually lower your compression b/c the gsr has lower compression pistons compared to the b16.
both engines factory make the same compression
b16=larger combustion chamber with larger slug pistons
b18c1=smaller combustion chamber with smaller slug pistons.
So you will lower your compression and the cams in the b16 are also weaker than the gsr. Like 3whp which is 8-10 flywheel hp. You may make up for 1 whp b/c of head flow but the poor mans type R is kinda wierd to me. Better than an Ls/vtec but wierd. Less compression than a b18c but slightly better head flow with weaker camshafts. What does one make really. I'm kinda curious. It still has a 10:1 cr instead of 10.2:1.

I know you know your stuff so none of this is an insult, just figured I'd throw the info out there.

Stock Boy

5+ Year Member
im doing the same swap but im using b16 pistons in hopes of keeping the compression ratio higher

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm aware of the compression drop, I am using the b16 pistons in the gsr block :D

Should put me about 11:1 compression and then later on after I get my koni shocks I'm upgrading to ITR/CTR cams.