Quick squeak when taking off from a stop

myfavecoupe

Started hearing a squeak that lasts a quick second everytime I'm stopped and start moving. Seems to happen when I'm just putting the car in gear and the initial go after.

Sound does not reproduce in neutral if I rev the engine.

RonJ

Banned
Sherlock Holmes was wondering where this squeak might be coming from.

RonJ

Banned
Both Holmes and Watson suspect the clutch or throw out bearing. However, they also acknowledge that they are more familiar with real horse power than with the internal combustion engine and its drivetrain.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's quieter at night.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

myfavecoupe

So now I can hear the same noise at idle which goes away when I press the clutch in.

It sounds like a consistent bird chirp. It's not too loud but noticeable if you listen.

Would this be the pilot bearing? And should I be too concerned at this point?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You do understand that it is impossible to hear a sound over the net by reading words on a forum right? Why not get a friend or family member to help you out that can actually listen to this sound you want everyone to guess at? That or take it to a shop. We can't help you and it is why everyone is making jokes in the thread because at this point it is more helpful than guessing which doesn't do anything for anyone but waste time.

bastok

5+ Year Member
So now I can hear the same noise at idle which goes away when I press the clutch in.

It sounds like a consistent bird chirp. It's not too loud but noticeable if you listen.
Maybe the slave cylinder shaft needs temperature grease in the place where it touches the clutch fork (i mean, it's a must, the service manual especify that also) .
If there's no more grease there, the slave shaft would make some kind of bird chirp caused by the engine vibration.

That could be re-greased in 15 minutes without taking more than 2 bolts apart

myfavecoupe

Maybe the slave cylinder shaft needs temperature grease in the place where it touches the clutch fork (i mean, it's a must, the service manual especify that also) .
If there's no more grease there, the slave shaft would make some kind of bird chirp caused by the engine vibration.

That could be re-greased in 15 minutes without taking more than 2 bolts apart

Ok I greased it up, now the "chirp" sound which sounded like loose metal is gone and has more of a solid noise.

But it does still go away when I press the clutch in.