quick throttle body question

emerican

Registered VIP
My friend has a 97 honda civic ex automatic all stock. He asked me this i dont know for sure so i ask yall. the tbody on it now is shot does it matter if i pull one off a manual car. He has a wrecked si in his backyard so i was just gonna pull the b series off and put it on, but he said somebody told him it was different and you couldnt put a manual on an automatic. Ive never messed with autos besides doing little maitence work on my friends so i dont really know either way. If it is different can it be done if so what do i need to do so he dosent have to spend any money if he dosent have to.
Thank you

RonJ

Banned
You'll notice right away that a three-wire IACV is mounted on the bottom of the auto EX TB whereas a two-wire IACV is mounted on the rear of the manual Si IM. So yes, the two TBs are different.

emerican

Registered VIP
Ok is there anyway to make the manual one work on the auto or no caause he dosent really have any money to buy another one. Im tryng to get his car to run decent since its his dd.

RonJ

Banned
Ok is there anyway to make the manual one work on the auto or no caause he dosent really have any money to buy another one. Im tryng to get his car to run decent since its his dd.
I don't think so.

What exactly is wrong with the current TB?

emerican

Registered VIP
Alright i will let him no.
To be honest with you im not sure he has replaced all the sensors so its not that, but the car just runs like crap like its got a huge tbody on it or something, but its the stock one. I know its his tbody as well cause i took mine off and put it on his car and it ran fine like it should. I inspected it and couldnt really see any problems with it and i had to take mine back so the car runs horrible right now.
No cels no others problems

RonJ

Banned
Alright i will let him no.
To be honest with you im not sure he has replaced all the sensors so its not that, but the car just runs like crap like its got a huge tbody on it or something, but its the stock one. I know its his tbody as well cause i took mine off and put it on his car and it ran fine like it should. I inspected it and couldnt really see any problems with it and i had to take mine back so the car runs horrible right now.
No cels no others problems
Does his CEL work?

Sounds like his TB is dirty, causing the throttle plate to stick open, or his throttle cable is adjusted too tightly or his TB gasket has an air intake leak. Another possibility is that his TPS is not properly calibrated.

csjmiller

5+ Year Member
this may be rhetorical but did you try cleaning it like all the sensor contacts and how sure are you its the tb thats the problem and not maybe something else in the intake?

csjmiller

5+ Year Member
i guess me and ron j was thinking the same thing he just posted it sooner...damn you haha

emerican

Registered VIP
cel does work i cleaned the throttle body completly when i had it off.
throttle cable seemed fine cause i checked it to make sure it wasnt too tight, but i will check it again.
Not sure about tps have to ask him about that one.
Shouldnt be gasket as i inspected it since i already had it off one i even replaced it since i he had another one no help.
csjmiller- yes i have done that it has to be this tbody cause i switched mine on there with his sensors and everything and it ran fine.

csjmiller

5+ Year Member
oops...i guess i didnt pay close enough attention...theres always a junkyard to find a tb

emerican

Registered VIP
Not really my tbody but didnt want to make this thread super long i had one in my car from an auto for another job i was doing that day. Hes a good friend but i didnt pull mine off my car to put on there for two seconds.

emerican

Registered VIP
we already tried hondas in junkyards around here get picked clean the second they show up and auto ones get crushed since no one really wants them as much

RonJ

Banned
Not sure about tps have to ask him about that one.
Make sure the TPS output voltage is ~0.5V at closed throttle.

The problem is a very high idle, right? If so, does blocking the top of the TB with your hand kill the engine? If not, there's a massive intake air leak.

And if you use your finger to cover the port leading to the IACV inside the TB, does the idle speed drop to normal or even lower?

emerican

Registered VIP
Yes the problem is very high idle.
Doing that will kill tengine
Not sure about covering IACV port didnt do it i just txted him and told him to do it

RonJ

Banned
Not sure about covering IACV port didnt do it i just txted him and told him to do it
More than likely, the IACV is stuck open, although a miscalibrated TPS can't be ruled out either. But first cover the IACV port to see whether the idle speed drops. Also check whether the idle adjust screw is still in place and whether it's been tampered with. Some people also make the huge mistake of messing with the throttle stop screw. That's another possibility.

emerican

Registered VIP
Im talking him threw this on the phone as we speak lol
What does the throttle stop screw need to be at normally or a way to describe how it needs to be to him

emerican

Registered VIP
He says it looks like its been adjusted, but he dosent want to mess with it he donsent know anything about cars, but he says you can tell the marks and s**t where somebody has messed with it.