Radar Detectors

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just thought I'd ask ya'll what you think of radar detectors in general? from personal experience which would you recomend? I guess thats it.

On a side note I've used "budget" Cobra detectors and can't complain just want to get opnions on weather I should just get another one of those or save up for a better one

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It isn't REALLY worth it unless you pony up and get a nice one like a V1. My brother's V1 has saved us countless times.

I used to have a cheap s***ty Cobra one. Wasn't worth it. It would go off at the last second and s***. Waste of money.

Decipher

Registered VIP
I've been thinking about getting one, too. I drive way too much and have a bad habit of speeding especially on the highway. They are illegal to have in or operate in your vehicle.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a cobra...has gone off when it needs to. Saved me a few times.
If you speed a lot a radar detector is a must.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been thinking about getting one, too. I drive way too much and have a bad habit of speeding especially on the highway. They are illegal to have in or operate in your vehicle.
No they arent. The manual for the cobra that it came with said it is legal to have.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i hope the "dector" typos are on purpose

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The cheapest and most effective radar detector is to.....not drive like a d**k. Don't go more than 5-10 over the speed limit, you'll be fine.

Joshreid

5+ Year Member
But, the reality is us as car enthusiasts, can sometimes cloud our judgement. Come on who doesn't love the sound of vtec on a cool summer night on your towns streets. I know I do. anyway, I'm also interested in the detectors more knowledge and who has a price range for the nicer ones?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
But, the reality is us as car enthusiasts, can sometimes cloud our judgement. Come on who doesn't love the sound of vtec on a cool summer night on your towns streets. I know I do. anyway, I'm also interested in the detectors more knowledge and who has a price range for the nicer ones?
I don't, because vtec is weak. And the sound of sirens NOT behind you is a lot cooler than the sound of vtec.

Speeding ticket? $85.
Legal fees for an accident caused by speeding? Thousands of dollars.
Hearing the sound of vtec? Pricey.

Or....

Not getting pulled over? $0.
Driving safely? Priceless.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Yea, typically, right around hitting vtec is when people outside of your car aren't loving it at all. I probably hit 5000rpm + only once or twice a month like when I get stuck behind some old handicapped person trying to merge into 75mph traffic.

My speeding tickets usually occur while cruising, keeping up with traffic, but not paying attention to f**king prick cops that hide in the most inopportune locations. Radar Detector would be like having an extra set of eyes. I'm not trying to be a d**k.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
My speeding tickets usually occur while cruising, keeping up with traffic, but not paying attention to f***ing prick cops that hide in the most inopportune locations.
So the cops are dicks because they do their jobs, and you're unfortunately breaking the law in front of them? Got it. We go through this on the site roughly once a month, unfortunately. Don't break the law, whether cops are around or not, and you should do just fine.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive never gotten a speeding ticket ;)
*knock on wood*?
lol
I've got a radar detector, my dad gave it to me a while back, garage door openers, sliding automatic doors at cvs, walmart, etc. all set it off and it just says "K-BAND" really loud, but when a cop is shooting radar it starts beeping before I can see him, and by the time I can see him it's beeping like crazy. Works great for me. Good investment imo

Decipher

Registered VIP
I often find the posted limits on highways and interstates to be highly conservative. Although, they did just raise the limit from 65>70 on interstate 64 here in VA. But now there is a "Zero Tolerance" policy, and no "usually leeway" (5-10mph over)should be assumed when driving now.

I say they open it up on the interstates. Have suggested speed limits and do like the autobahn... which sadly they are slowly doing away with over there too.

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
I say they open it up on the interstates. Have suggested speed limits and do like the autobahn... which sadly they are slowly doing away with over there too.
As much as a lot of people would like this, part of the reason their getting rid of the open limits is it's very dangerous for everyone on the road. If one person is flying down and the car in front of them is doing a slower speed by the time you recognize and react to it, it could be too late.
If you want to drive fast go to a track where it's legal and no one is in a great danger.

Decipher

Registered VIP
So the cops are dicks because they do their jobs, and you're unfortunately breaking the law in front of them? Got it. We go through this on the site roughly once a month, unfortunately. Don't break the law, whether cops are around or not, and you should do just fine.
As a rule I don't like cops, save the exceptions. That's why I said "f***ing prick", not because they're doing their jobs. My problem is with the fact that this IS their job... sitting like a giant waste of tax-payer money, on the side of the road, catching people and writing tickets for technicalities, and dumb s*** instead of doing things that might be considered protecting and serving... like running off guys with civics that meet in parking lots.

I understand this particular issue isn't their fault, it's a HUGE source of revenue for most states, and is a systemic problem, along with many others, within law enforcement practices.

Decipher

Registered VIP
As much as a lot of people would like this, part of the reason their getting rid of the open limits is it's very dangerous for everyone on the road. If one person is flying down and the car in front of them is doing a slower speed by the time you recognize and react to it, it could be too late.
If you want to drive fast go to a track where it's legal and no one is in a great danger.
I think if we wanted to, we could build the infrastructure to safely provide free limits on interstates. The real drawback is that most cars reach a terminal speed in terms of fuel efficiency, somewhere around where the speed limits are today.

When I was in germany, me and my brother in law drove to amsterdam, he was doing like 100 -110 the whole way in his super-charged grand prix... pretty sure that's not a sustainable commuting speed unless you make $$$.

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm pretty sure a police scanner/radar detector thread almost got me banned last time soo....

*shuts door behind him*