Radiator Leak

bkjj77

Registered VIP
my radiator has been leaking since i bought the car...some days it leaks and others it dosent.
when i go to my car in the morning there is a small puddle...it leaks from the drain plug...i decided to drain the fluid and get a new plug i put in the new plug and filled the radiator back with antifreeze...the plug started to slowley leak....so i took it out and put a sealer on it and the hole...it held up for a while then started leaking again...what should i do...buy a new radiator or what? thanks

steve.21

There might be a small crack that's allowing the antifreeze to get by, or something in the way to prevent a proper seal.. Getting a new radiator would be the best option that I see

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes a new rad would be the best bet. They arent too expensive and will save you the headache.

RonJ

Banned
Check the rubber O-ring on the drain plug. The fix may be as easy as replacing it.

Does coolant leak from the spout or from the threads of the plug?

bkjj77

Registered VIP
the coolant leaks from the spout...i did check the oring when i drained it and nothing was wrong with it but i still bought a new plus and the coolant still leaks from the hole

RonJ

Banned
You shouldn't need to replace the entire radiator. Are you saying you already replaced the plug?

RonJ

Banned
If it leaks from the spout, then it's bad. Is it possibly leaking around the threads where the plug screws into the radiator?

bkjj77

Registered VIP
no its not leaking from the threads i checked...i event put sealer on the hole and it still drips...very slow

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depends on what u have. If its just a non turbo D get whatever cheap radiator u can from an autoparts store or radiator shop. If u plan on swapping and want more cooling power u could pick up a dual core so u don't have to worry about it later in

bkjj77

Registered VIP
I don't think I'm going to turbo... But would dual core be better ...should I get a certain brand

steve.21

I got the cheapest one for my car at napa and it has no problems and no difference in how warm the car runs

RonJ

Banned
I'm still having a hard time believing the radiator is bad. You need to pull the radiator out to replace it, so carefully inspect the hole where the drain plug screws in to see whether the problem is revealed.

bkjj77

Registered VIP
when i woke up to check for any fluid leaks...there was fluid spat out everywere but i dont know were its coming from

Trekk

Registered VIP
What has the weather been like for you at night? The reason I ask is because the radiators with plastic end tanks on them have a o-ring between the tank and core. Sometimes when it gets cold at night everything shrinks and you get a leak around the end tank. Then as you warm up the car everything heats up and expands, then no more leak.

bkjj77

Registered VIP
there is coolant under the block and under my radiator cap ...how is the coolant under the block