radio remote wire volt??

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i started with an amp remote wire reading 5v it did not work.
the next amp i tried worked with 5v
and lastley i could not get this amp to work with 5v but only 12v

my question is what is the remote wire supposed to read? and why did it work with the second amp i tried?
in the end i tapped into a acc from the underdash to power the amp. after all wired everything for shits and giggles i wanted to check the remote wire from the back of the head unit and the remote wire reads no more than 1v, and all is still fine, what causes this remote wire to lose its volts?

cobb2819

12v should be it's output. and it could just be a bad output, or the wire is grounding out somewhere.

Imperialzim

Wrencher
^^agree about the ground short. And when it turned on one of the amps did it actually play and function? or did it just turn on the power lights. Some amps will give a false reading like they are on but once you draw from them they brick.

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the amp i tested with my brothers that took the 5 v did take the charge and the sub worked, although it has been a while since the initial install i had tapped an acc with a fuse from the under dash to turn it on thanks for the info.

xWIREMANx

Yes the remote wire should output 12v. The reason why 5v may work on one amp and not the other would have to do with the internals of the amp. Typically the remote wire is only triggering a transistor in the amp for turn on. Transistor in amp A may take less than transistor in amp B. Are you sure you didn't accidently use the power antenna wire from the deck? It only comes on with the AM/FM radio.

cobb2819

even if he used the power antenna, that would still be 12v output. he's not having issues with the amps turning off when he changes sources.