Raised/lifted hood mod??

f4113n

Fu
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
i think it looks tacky as f00k, throws off the body lines completely and makes it look like it's been in a big wreck and put back together poorly....
Agreed.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did it for a couple weeks but got sick of it. All you need is nylon washers from home depot and some longer bolts (got some from a local fastener shop).

Dont do it if you dont want water up in your bay everytime you wash the car (I wash mine once a week)

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks like ish..

It isnt like there is ungodly amounts of heat under the hood, anyway..
Yeah, it gets hot, but if your underhood temps are that high, then you've got other issues you need to work on..

Ltrain

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
i think it looks tacky as f00k, throws off the body lines completely and makes it look like it's been in a big wreck and put back together poorly....

but yeah, all it takes is some washers
yea wtf im not feeling it

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my old camry had a hood like that. the rear two bolts had some of the threads messed up so they wouldn;t go in all the way and it just looked like that. spose you could just stick some washers and maybe a lock nut in between the hood and the bracket in the back to get that look

douggiefresh

Douggie Fresh
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks dumb to me, but to each his own...its a fade much like wearing bell bottoms....it will go away =) And it is the easiest thing in the world to do. Thnk about it to tilt the rear hood you would need a spacer in between the hinges and the hood, if you wanted it to look real nice get a shim machined, but if you want to do it the cheap easy way get yourself some washer shims and shim the hood up.

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like it to an extent.....sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. On my car, Ithink it would look uber lame, so i choose not to do it 8)

douggiefresh

Douggie Fresh
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would figure people wouldnt sacrafice a clean car like that to get a little air flow.....if you really wanted to do something take your hood to a shop and have them cut two vent holes in the back of the hood and weld mesh in so that stuff doesnt blow into the motor.....there is your breath threw....Seen that done on muscle cars before.

krazyblonde

Banned
cow induction.... its simple to do my bf did it on his teg.... all you need is to take out one of the bolts holding ur hood go to home depot and get a longer bold with the same thread pattern and then get some nuts to go on it the longer the bolt and the more nuts the higher the hood... it really works though... my bfs car runs so cool now that he has that done... when it would usualy start to run hot in traffic

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:

but yeah, all it takes is some washers
:werd:

C'mon! that mod is what guys with aircooled VWs do to get more airflow in thier engine compartments. Pointless on a water pumper.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
krazyblonde said:
cow induction....
HOLY s**t! :shock: she said "cow induction" :lol: :lol:

I've never tried, but I am fairly certain that you are never going to force a cow into that tiny of a space.

You might be thinking of "Cowl Induction" which was used most often by the Chevrolet Motor Division. It was not for temperature management. It was to stick the airfilter into some nice cool clean air...kinda' like an early CAI. Useless on a Honda with the intake going the opposite way.

Shogun

is cool
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't really like it. just like $lick said, it throws off the body lines completely

xzodiackillerx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
krazyblonde said:
cow induction.... its simple to do my bf did it on his teg.... all you need is to take out one of the bolts holding ur hood go to home depot and get a longer bold with the same thread pattern and then get some nuts to go on it the longer the bolt and the more nuts the higher the hood... it really works though... my bfs car runs so cool now that he has that done... when it would usualy start to run hot in traffic

its not like cow induction or Cowl induction unless you get your intake to suck air from there ... the reason for this is the air is higher pressure at the base of the windsheild ... = better induction....

I will say it again this is for aerodynamics... not cooling, not induction... less lift and less drag... end of story... if you dont like what it looks like you can have the same effect with either a vented hood or expensive body modifications... this is a cheap and effective way to reroute the air over your car....

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The only reason I can find is that you did a swap and you are having clearence problems. JDM hoods bubble up for a reason.

A Cowl Inducted Civic. That will be the day. I am gonna go even up the seams on my hood now.

Maybe someone needs some better fans, or maybe a radiator.

xdr3amx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would recommend to anyone who chooses to do this to also kick a few dents into their fender and doors. They are JDM speed bump, it makes the air flow better coming from the side. But IMO studiest thing to do to your car since washer LEDs.

Sandals

Sleeper said:
Its crapy... There was a test not to long ago with this done & it showed engine temps raise... & it heating the intake manifold with all the heat passing over the motor instead of under.. thus being why the manufacture have the hood seal in the front & back. So just leave it alone.
I have to disagree with you here. As much as I agree w/ everyone on the ugliness factor it is functional. I know a few RX-7 guys and a few s13 guys who have done it and it does remove hot air from the the engine bay. But you have to make sure the rest of the ducting is in still there (under panels, etc). Heat rises and pushing out near the cowl is best way to get rid of it.

But seriously if it's a daily driver and you don't track it go waste the 3 dollars you would spend on washers, bushings, etc on something more practical like extra windshield washer fluid.

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Amen, Sandals..
even saying that if it were an areodynamic advantage, just how much do most considering it here, ACTUALLY drive fast enough for it to even remotely become an aerodynamic aid?

But to each their own..