random misfire that goes away at speed

jfitz

ok so the story goes like this...i was driving on the highway at normal highway speeds and all of a sudden the CEL starts to flash. i know this means that a misfire is occurring like now so i pull off the exit and everything under hood appears straight...the odd thing is that at idle it feels as if the engine is running on 3 cylinders i.e real rough, flashing CEL etc. but once i rev it up or get in and drive it above 30-40 mph smooths out to where you wouldnt even notice something was wrong...im thinking a mechanical issue such as a distributer itself or maybe even a vss? any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated

Autoteck21

Si/Sir
Ok.. so are we talking about a 1986 Honda civic or a 2013 Honda pilot? Need some info on what were dealing with bro! You could be dealing with anything from a fouled out plug starting to shat out, or a dirty injector , being that you said "misfiring" one at a time unplug the ignition wires until you find which one when unpluged does not make the engine run worse but instead still runs just as bad as when plugged in. very well could be a carboned up valve not fully seating! until you know what cyl and we know what motor cant really help you much.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For one thing why not run the code to see exactly what the cel is for instead of just guessing. Second thing, you need to tell us what car you are working with. That should have been the absolute first thing in your post.

RonJ

Banned
For one thing why not run the code to see exactly what the cel is for instead of just guessing. Second thing, you need to tell us what car you are working with. That should have been the absolute first thing in your post.
^This

Also tell us when the last ignition system tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) was.