Read and sign it!

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wait so this reduces the time until a vehicle doesn't have to comply with emissions test.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wait so this reduces the time until a vehicle doesn't have to comply with emissions test.
No. It is saying that instead of 25 years the limitations to import a GRAY market vehicle go down to 15. Gray market vehicles are those that aren't built for the USA. To import one there are DOT and EPA regulations because regulations in the rest of the world are wildly different than that of the U.S.

It doesn't mean that your car will become emissions exempt at 15 years it has to do with importing.

Coming from my line of business, this is a pain in the ass. Gray market vehicles can be extremely difficult to get OEM parts for at least from a German vehicle stand point. We can't buy/sell parts that are made for other markets so when one comes in the shop it can be hell to get parts to work (example: ecu (or DME as we call it) that is made for european market is a huge pain in the ass to code for our market. Most of the time it is impossible to code an out of market ecu to our market as the scan tool is coded only for the U.S and vice versa.

Keeping the regulations at cars 25 years and older makes it harder for people to import out of market (gray) vehicles and I am all for that at least until I get into another line of business.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No. It is saying that instead of 25 years the limitations to import a GRAY market vehicle go down to 15. Gray market vehicles are those that aren't built for the USA. To import one there are DOT and EPA regulations because regulations in the rest of the world are wildly different than that of the U.S.

It doesn't mean that your car will become emissions exempt at 15 years it has to do with importing.

Coming from my line of business, this is a pain in the ass. Gray market vehicles can be extremely difficult to get OEM parts for at least from a German vehicle stand point. We can't buy/sell parts that are made for other markets so when one comes in the shop it can be hell to get parts to work (example: ecu (or DME as we call it) that is made for european market is a huge pain in the ass to code for our market. Most of the time it is impossible to code an out of market ecu to our market as the scan tool is coded only for the U.S and vice versa.

Keeping the regulations at cars 25 years and older makes it harder for people to import out of market (gray) vehicles and I am all for that at least until I get into another line of business.
im glad i know importers

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP

Most people who would import a gray market vehicle wouldnt take it to a shop (I assume that is where you work but something tells me I am wrong).

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most people who would import a gray market vehicle wouldnt take it to a shop (I assume that is where you work but something tells me I am wrong).
I do. I work for Porsche. You would be surprised how many come in or call. We actually have 2 gray market cars in the shop right now. One is in for a Kessy (alarm/central locking control module) and we can't get the U.S. one to code because of the car being a european market car. The tester/coder basically laughs and says f*** you when you try to code it. We went through 3 before Porsche releasing a european one and it took a month to get it. It has been a nightmare.

Other one is in for brakes and an 80k service (oil change, pollen filter, air filter, spark plugs, and serp belt). Luckily all that stuff is interchangeable.

I have a bumper and hood on order for a gray market '08 911. Had to beg Porsche to release those as the headlights are a slightly different shape? Been 3 weeks and they are still a no show.

Could be the brand that I am in? I don't know. You can buy your Porsche and pick it up at one of the factories in Germany. 90% are made for the U.S. but I have a few customers that have houses in Germany, buy/build the cars over there, and end up importing them at some point. Crazy thing is I have only seen one right hand drive one. Out of all the ones that have come in I figured there would be a lot more.

Last edited:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
It is your brand. Say I imported an older evo, I wouldnt take it to mistubishi for anything as it's drivetrain and ecu can be swapped from US market cars. Porsche owners dont usually get their hands dirty when it comes to anything automotive, hence why your job is slightly more difficult. I would also suspect such a higher end european car company to have every resource possible on hand at any dealership as to not keep their customers waiting on anything.