Removing 2000 EM1 front knuckle

CrazyEM1

5+ Year Member
I am in the process of replacing a wheel bearing, rather, getting it replaced. It will cost me a total of $75 if I just bring in the knuckle and $275 if I have to bring the car in. So, common sense tells me to just take the knuckle in. However, I have the worst luck in the world. I am looking all over the manual and I am wondering if I absolutely need the ball joint separator or if I can use a rubber mallet to get the ball joints loose? What exactly needs to be removed to release the knuckle? If I can't understand he manual should I even attempt this?

Suggestions?

gebs06

Klub EJ
Registered VIP
Some used a rubber mallet and screwdriver. I used a ball joint/ tie rod remover to separate my old cambers from the knuckle....

CrazyEM1

5+ Year Member
Wow...thank you so much for the awesome help. I didn't expect to get pictures! Is this the same method for the lower ball joint? I believe there is something else attached to the knuckle a little to the right of the driver's side lower ball joint. I want to say its a tie-rod, but I don't know.

CrazyEM1

5+ Year Member
Also...

To get those joints back in do I just use the castle nut to secure them?

CrazyEM1

5+ Year Member
Also X2...

This is the picture of a ball joint separator at VatoZone. Will this work? I'm going to buy it tonight.