Replacing cat? Bad mpg

hckyplya8

I have a 96 ex coupe, currently getting about 320 miles on a full tank of gas which seems a little low. After research and looking at my exhaust the cat is about 99% rust. Also when my car runs it smells weird I'm thinking its the cat. Is there a high flow cat with the same dimensions as the stock cat that I can bolt in and also I need to pass emissions? Also are there any other causes of bad mpg?

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I get 260-330 depending on how I drive, did you ever get better MPG?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any CELs/history codes? I would take a look at O2 sensor readings. Those would be your telltale signs of catalytic converter failure.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could just be the driver..i thought WI didn't do emissions...?

gugiey

Registered VIP
Tune up, fuel system service , spark plugs./wires . Can all improve gas mileage .

But I don't mean cheap fuel system cleaner I mean dealership quality

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
320 on a tank is not bad. I wouldnt be concerned with it. If you were below 300 regularly you might look into doing some tuneup items.

hckyplya8

Also as I start to get low on gas when I go to start my car it takes longer and longer to start. It starts once I'm at about 1/2 tank

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also as I start to get low on gas when I go to start my car it takes longer and longer to start. It starts once I'm at about 1/2 tank
Yea mine does that too when I'm full it takes me one crank to start when I'm near empty and parked uphill (my driveway) it takes about 5-6 cranks.