reverse lights don't turn on

jasanp

5+ Year Member
My recently noticed that my reverse light don't turn on...any reason for these besides the light bulds being out?

98' ex coupe

RonJ

Banned
Fuse 19 under the dash blown? Blown bulb?

Do you have a manual transmission? Also check the switch located on the front top of the transmission.

jasanp

5+ Year Member
I had a feeling it was the fuse but i dont have the diagram so didn't wanna mess with that. thanx a lot i'll make sure to check.

Still auto :/

jasanp

5+ Year Member
Do you know where i can get a fuse diagram for futher references?

RonJ

Banned
What is this you're talking about?
There's a switch located on the manual transmission to register reverse gear and to turn on the back up lights.

For the automatic transmission, the switch is in the console.

Last edited:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn, Ron's got this on lock down. :thumbs up

rhondadahonda

5+ Year Member
i had the same issue. but for me, my reverse lights would not go on if my front lights were on....

it was weird, but i found that my tails had mystery bulbs that didnt work

PhilA

5+ Year Member
Reverse lights ALWAYS on

Can anyone help me with this? My son has a 98 Civic EX, auto trans, that we bought used. The reverse lights are always on (which of course is illegal, and has caused him to get pulled over), even when the car is in Drive. Shifting it to reverse causes the left reverse light to go out, and the right side to glow brighter. Shifting back into drive turns both reverse lights on again, but the left side is dimmer than the right.

Examining the wiring, I see a black and a green going into the reverse light housing. The black has been spliced with electrical tape, and the other section of black wire goes into the brake light below the reverse light.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Thanks much.

RonJ

Banned
Are the back up lights on only when the taillights (parking or headlights) are turned on? Or even without the taillights on?

RonJ

Banned
Only when the headlights/other lights are on.
Are you saying that the back up lights are off or on when the light switch is turned to the parking lights position (headlights off/taillights and parking lights on)?

Start by checking whether the G601 rear ground wire is loose, corroded, or disconnected:

codyspeedy

Cody T
5+ Year Member
Fuse 19 under the dash blown? Blown bulb?

Do you have a manual transmission? Also check the switch located on the front top of the transmission.
Ronj,

Do you have a diagram or a an actual picture of where the switch is? i cant find it and im having the same problem with reverse lights. also once i find the switch then what.

KaizVic

5+ Year Member
im in the same boat! my tails all light up including reverse lights, also when i step on the brakes my right turn signal lights up! i checked and replaced all bulbs that didnt work. is it possible that a ground some how got disconnected?