Rim Clearance Issue

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I just recently purchased a set of Rota Slipstreams that are 15x7" w/ a +40mm offset. I test fit them on the front and they have enough room. On the rear however there isnt really enough room between the stamped piece of the spindle that contains the joint for the upper control arm. The very inside edge of the rim has only an 1/8th of an inch of room. I talked w/ a very well read car guy (and honda guy) and he suggested that it should be ok even w/ that little room. This makes sense since the actual stamped piece is a part of the spindle assembly that moves w/ the wheel therefore that 1/8th" should be constant (in theory). I am still worried about this though since they are a brand new set and would HATE to ruin two wheels by hitting a large bump etc.. and it hit. Heres a pic of it I made in paint. And yes my paint skills are horride. Your thoughts?

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
spacer?

99ExDriver

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had the same problem with my Work emotion CR so I sold it a got some Enkei wheels.

use the stick on wheel weight

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anyone else?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you could get a spacer. I know kits run those size wheels all the time without much problem...or any problems at all

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I could do spacers and honestly I think it would atleast give me more piece of mind. The only thing is that the spacer would slightly change the suspension geometry which I would prefer not to mess w/. Like I said though, my main concern is if the 1/8 of an inch is enough room to where I shouldnt worry about it. My friend thats worked on cars for a long time says it should be ok.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The spacer would push the wheel farther away from the control arm, meaning that you won't have to worry about it.

chunktwo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any one have thoughts on this?? or ran the same setup..

im currently debating whether to run mine.. they are 15x7 +41 offset..

thoughts please.. thank you

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My friend is a nut when it comes to suspension geometry and what should be done to a car and blah blah. He just put wheel spacers in, so if he did it, I'd assume it doesn't hurt the geometry that much if at all.

steve98ex

say no to rotas
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
put your car on jackstands, take out the shock, raise and lower the suspension with the wheel on and see if it touches. If it doesn't touch then its not going too