Rolling shots: How to do them

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Who here has done it and knows how to? I'm interested in learning how to take them to make the car clear but the wheels and background blurry. I've been googling and trying to find some information on how others have done it.

I found one thread on a forum where someone (a mod for the photography section) said your cars shutter speed should match the vehicle speed. So 60mph = 1/60 shutter speed. If that's the case, should you lower the aperture (though I know generally, lower shutter speed = "higher" aperture") and use ISO 200 to compensate for a sunny day?

Does DOF play a role here? I know that, for example, a 55-200 lens will make the background more blurry than an 18-55 lens. Or is it just because you have such a lower shutter speed and focus on a "non-moving" object (the car), it just makes everything else blurry.

I'm going to a Honda-Tech meet this Sunday and taking my D40 with me. I'm hoping I can pull off some rolling shots by myself since I'm not taking anyone. I have an 18-55 lens and 55-200 lens. Which lens should I use?

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
A slower shutter speed will make the background more blurred and the car more in focus. Just be careful not to use a shutter speed too low than when hand-holding the camera you get wobbles which create blur over the entire image.

A lot of the good photographers use rigs mounted to the car which holds the camera and then takes the shots with a remote. I'm sure you've seen these.. they make for sick shots, but are a lot harder to pull off.

The simple rolling shots your talking about just require a bit of play with the shutter speed/aperture. Slower shutter speed will help you get the blur of the wheels and background objects. A larger aperture will usually help make the background be more in focused, so try to stick with something lower as well.

Try iso 200, shutter speed 1/250 (to start, then maybe lower.. depends on how much sunlight there is) and an aperture around 5-6

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A slower shutter speed will make the background more blurred and the car more in focus. Just be careful not to use a shutter speed too low than when hand-holding the camera you get wobbles which create blur over the entire image.

A lot of the good photographers use rigs mounted to the car which holds the camera and then takes the shots with a remote. I'm sure you've seen these.. they make for sick shots, but are a lot harder to pull off.

The simple rolling shots your talking about just require a bit of play with the shutter speed/aperture. Slower shutter speed will help you get the blur of the wheels and background objects. A larger aperture will usually help make the background be more in focused, so try to stick with something lower as well.
Thanks! I guess it's not as hard as I thought. I'm reading more random google finds right now.

And yeah I'm not looking to do rig shots. I've seen them, a few local people do them, but I'm not interested in those kinds of rolling shots.

One thing I just found is that ND filters help too? I don't want to drop money on anything right now, but possibly in the future if there is any truth to this. Or do they just help if you're having trouble?

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ND filters make it easier to take longer exposed pictures in a lot of sunlight. These would allow you to use a lower shutter speed without getting over exposure due to lots of sunlight.

I want to get some as well but can't afford to drop the cash. I too shoot with a D40 check out my flickr for some shots
www.flickr.com/jdmkid512

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ah gotcha. Thanks again. I need to go take a photography class lol. I still don't understand a lot of the basics.

Does it matter which lens I use of the 2 that I have?

Nice pictures too. I'm not really a fan of over edited pictures and how they look all "toonish", but they still look cool.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Ah gotcha. Thanks again. I need to go take a photography class lol. I still don't understand a lot of the basics.

Does it matter which lens I use of the 2 that I have?

Nice pictures too. I'm not really a fan of over edited pictures and how they look all "toonish", but they still look cool.
You've got the 55-200 and 18-55 right? Might want to use the 18-55 so you can get a wider angle since you won't be really far away from the other car.

Thanks, some of my shots I did HDR style and went for a more extreme look.

I have yet to take a class... the internet provides plenty of information =)

I saw your light tent you made... looks really sick and makes me want to make one as well. Keep it up man!

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice info hatch :thumbs up:

I know Either Ferio or Genuine had posted up a how-to on it OR it was on how to hide the arm after the shot, idk either or. I'll look around see if find anything