Rough Idle/Bogging/Stalling at Operating Temperature

CivicOwner02

I recently acquired a 2002 Civic DX Sedan w/ 1.7L 4-Cyl. It has 187,000 on the odometer but is fairly clean, no obvious defects or damage anywhere on the vehicle besides normal paint wear, the occasional oil splatters, etc.

ISSUE: Vehicle idles normally when cold however, when reaching operating temperature, it is almost as if a switch is flipped and the car begins idling roughly, bogging when the accelerator is depressed, and stalling when the A/C is turned on or steering wheel turned (i.e. whenever a load is placed on the engine).

ATTEMPTED FIXES: I did change the oil/filter, cabin air/air intake filters, and spark plugs when I bought it. I noticed a Honda-esque engine noise which I found to be a crack at the No. 4 exhaust port on the exhaust manifold. When I changed out the manifold, the above problem persisted with the new manifold getting hot enough to start glowing red. I switched back to the old manifold just in case the new one (which was on the cheaper side) was clogged from the factory, but to no change. Both allowed exhaust to flow through the system and out the tail pipe, although they both had the tell-tale patter sound of a leak somewhere. I also did a basic O2 check, no change to engine performance with the upstream, downstream, or both sensors unplugged.

SOLUTIONS? I’m a Toyota guy, owning a ‘94 Pickup, so I understand how finicky some of these engines can be in their “old” age (that is the simplest thing is often the problem). Hoping for some clarification and possible tests I can run to start weeding out variables.