RPMs arent going above 4500

irawkian_EK9

ok for some reason my RPMs arent going above 4500... soon as i hit 4500 or 5K it bounces off the rev limiter.. Im running a 99 EX 5-Speed ECU and D15B VTEC Swap.. 5 Speed... Any suggestions...

chromal

5+ Year Member
Check that your catalytic converter isn't clogged, assuming you have one. =)

Trekk

Registered VIP
vtec not vtecing

Are you saying it gets to 5k rpms then spikes to 7200ish? or that is stays at 5k and backs off like a rev limiter.

irawkian_EK9

backs off @ 5K doesnt go pass 5K... No Cata straight pipe.... Vtec hits @ 4K... then soon as it hits 5K hits the rev limiter... JDM D15B Vtec - 99 EX ECU (VTEC) -

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
has to be the ecu problem. because im assuming you have tuned your vtec to hitt at 4k, so maybe its thinking its higher rpm then it really is. 4k being around normal vtec 5,5k so on.JeffBel is correct, take it to a local tuning garage and see if they have a solution to the problem.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:wstupid:

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

irawkian_EK9

ok to explain my car a bit more.... its a 2000 DX Hatch.. with a JDM D15B Vtec Swap - the car was auto converted to manual... Using a 99 EX 5 Speed ECU and the wiring harness is still a DX Harness... Ready for the laugh? My Vtec is my Left Horn Button... so could it be that I dont have a vtec harness or that vtec isnt wired to harness but to the horn? lol please help me.. Im no0b 101

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Wow.. I didn't even know Vtec could be controlled by a button. That's new to me.

Subscribed for results. Please post back when you get it fixed. I'm interested but have NO experience in this regard.

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My Vtec is my Left Horn Button...

WOAH. My mind is crumbling at the concept. Did it ever rev up enough to kick in your vtec and did it ever go up all the way to redline (over 7500 rpms or whatever) or has it always done this from day one? sounds like an ecu control issue, maybe limp mode. Would def look into finding an appropriate harness for your motor just to make life a bit easier. Do some research to see if your swapped engines stock harness is compatible with the clips in the car and has the capacity to tie in or if you would have to splice into it to make it work. Finding a really good local tuning shop would be a good option as well.

irawkian_EK9

Car has never seen above 5200 RPMS other then once when I double clutched and punched it... that was the only time lol.. now its jus 5200 and toped out... each gear....

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
...other then once when I double clutched and punched it...
You double clutched it? Why.. your transmission has synchros; there's no need to double clutch when driving.

I would go about fixing your wiring harness and properly wire up vtec.. not sure how it currently works being hooked to your horn. Do you press the horn to engage vtec once at the proper rpm range? Does the horn also blast when your "hit vtec" so all of the haters can hear you coming?

irawkian_EK9

ya I know I need a harness was wondering if thats the cause of this.... people are selling OBD2B harnesses for like 130+ its crazy...

JeffBel

Registered VIP
Yes you need a vtec harness; Maybe a d15b ecu. Get rid of that horn button s**t! That's ghetto

DMunny

VTEC WHORE
simple check. check your oil. if your oil is low your car won't crossover into VTEC. Could be a simpler solution .

JeffBel

Registered VIP
simple check. check your oil. if your oil is low your car won't crossover into VTEC. Could be a simpler solution .
He would dummy light for sure. He isn't getting crossover because he doesn't have a computer crossover, he has a manual crossover(horn button)