Running hot.. idk why

baller_ivy

5+ Year Member
So here is the problem. After the car warms up it will run hot only as stops and low speeds. If i get on the interstate the gauge goes back down to normal. Doesn't matter if the a/c is on or off. I changed the thermostat not to long ago, so that should't be it. So what else could it be? Oh and its a 99 DX

reichbc

"Brandon"
Check your coolant levels.

Mine did the same thing. If an air pocket gets stuck on the temp probe in the engine block, it will read hot. Once you start moving at high RPMs, the water pump throws the water back through the system.

Park your car on an uphill incline... it can be your front two wheels on a curb or something. I recommend doing this when your engine is cold. With the engine OFF, pop the radiator cap, then start the car. Start filling up the radiator with water / coolant (your choice) until it gets full. When the car gets warm, the thermostat will open and the level will drop. Add more water/coolant to it and keep doing this until it stops bubbling and you can see the coolant in the hole flowing over the top of the radiator.

Best of luck.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does your fan work. sounds like the issue to me. at highway speeds you have enough momentum you dont really need a fan

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
coolant level
fan relay
fan motor
coolant temp sensor
thermostat

in that order

baller_ivy

5+ Year Member
so i figured it out it was low but it's because i have a leak coming from somewhere i have to find the leak when i get time

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Might just be cheaper to buy a new rad and hoses at autozone, if you can't find the leak