"Screaming V-Tec?"

fiend2003

5+ Year Member
Ok first this is my first V-tec engine and I have heard the term "screaming v-tec" before, so I got my new ram air intake today and put it on connected everything like I always do, when the car idles you can hear a "grumble" from the air intake almost like something vibrating, i checked everything to make sure there was no movement, So I got onto the highway and hammered on the car to get the v-tec to kick in which I can hear kick in, But is the grumble/vibrating noise normal on v-tec's with aftermarket intakes?...Sorry if this was posted somewhere else i tried looking and found nothing.

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There really shouldn't be a "grumble" from an intake. Mine makes sort of a vacuum noise.

And what did the "screaming vtec" part of this post have to do with your intake "grumble" question? :lol:

fiend2003

5+ Year Member
I've heard guys talk about after the put their intake on the v-tec makes well a "screaming" noise when it hits 5500rpms, like I said i didn't know if the v-tec made that much difference i've had intakes on civic's integra's and such but none of them made a grumble noise like this, so i figured it had to be something with the v-tec?, maybe I'm just thinking into it to much!

91civicfreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
VEEEEEEEETTTTTTEEEEECCCCC!!!! lol had to do it. it should make a sucking noise.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aftermarket intakes make a high pitch noise, sort of like TopGear_ said, like a vacuum. You can hear it from the cone filter. I wouldn't describe it as a grumble though.. Best way is to post up a video and let us hear it if you're that worried. If you do, please please PLEASE get a good / decent camera. Don't use a shitty phone.

And yes, intake's allow you to hear VTEC engagement more clearly on D-Series engines where VTEC is hardly noticeable.

newtron63h

5+ Year Member
that is possibly THE MOST HILARIOUS thing ive ever seen. i was so stunned by how funny it is i seriously forgot to laugh. wow, thank you civic99

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I busted out laughing at devo1104's post. I even saved the pic to laugh at later.