Several general questions - 2000 Ex

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1. I didn't get an owners manual with the car, so I need to know what weight of oil I'm supposed to be using?

2. How do I know if the VTEC is working? I've read a few threads about what to do if they are not working but don't know how to tell if they are working or not.

3. My 2000 Ex lurches, lunges and jerks around 2000 to 3000 RPM's when it gets warmed up, what is causing that? What do I do to fix it or is that normal?

4. Cruise control doesn't work. What do I need to check first, second third and so on?

5. CD player quit working. Error code something like Err-00. I insert a CD and it checks for tracks, then shows an error and ejects it, any ideas?

6. I want to lower my ride and get some new tires and rims. I'm looking at getting an adjustable system so I can go lower in the summer and raise it back up for clearance in the winter. I live in Minnesota and get alot of snow. I also am looking for a nice smooth ride as I drive a good 35 miles each way to school. What are somerelatively low cost recommendations for what I'm looking for? please provide an approximate cost for the parts. I will install them myself.

Thanks

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
1. Honda manual recommends 5W-30

2. VTEC is pretty quiet and unnoticeable in a D16 (that is if you still have the stock motor) so unless you're throwing a CEL (Check Engine Light) or you have a different swap, etc., don't see why VTEC wouldn't work.

3. Could be quite a few different things. How long has it been since you've done a tune-up? That includes o2 sensors, plugs, wires, dizzy (distributor) cap & rotor, fuel filter (you don't need to but most people do for the sake of just having it changed), etc. I know when my o2 sensor was dead, my car had really bad bogging problems. Is your car throwing a CEL?

4. First thing I'd check is fuses. Then possibly wiring/electrical stuff. Don't know too much about that so I won't get into it and feed you some bull ;).

5. No idea on this one either :lol:.

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
amej8 said:
1. Honda manual recommends 5W-30

Thanks

2. VTEC is pretty quiet and unnoticeable in a D16 (that is if you still have the stock motor) so unless you're throwing a CEL (Check Engine Light) or you have a different swap, etc., don't see why VTEC wouldn't work.

SOHC motor in my civic - must be a DOHC thing.

3. Could be quite a few different things. How long has it been since you've done a tune-up? That includes o2 sensors, plugs, wires, dizzy (distributor) cap & rotor, fuel filter (you don't need to but most people do for the sake of just having it changed), etc. I know when my o2 sensor was dead, my car had really bad bogging problems. Is your car throwing a CEL?

No CEL. The lady I bought it from said she recently had a tune-up done which included a new timing belt. It was not done by a honda mechanic from the receupts I found.

4. First thing I'd check is fuses. Then possibly wiring/electrical stuff. Don't know too much about that so I won't get into it and feed you some bull ;).

Thanks, I'll check the fuse

5. No idea on this one either :lol:.

Maybe I'll get a new one.

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
4. When are you trying to activate your CC? It won't activate at certain speeds.

5. I suppose you've tried different CD's? If you have then your cd player is dead. I think that error is something with the laser.

6. I've got Megan Coilover Sleeves. $100 and fairly easy to install (directions blow so you gotta figure it out yourself). They have a huge range of adjustment. I'm also using KYB AGX shocks with them. If you're going to use the stock shocks then you shouldn't drop too far or your blow them (the shocks).

lilwhitecoupe

Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is the lil cruise button on hte left pushed in? stupid question but when i first got my 98 it wasnt and i was like wtf wont cruise work lol, idk if the 00 have the button or not...

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Scorchsta said:
4. When are you trying to activate your CC? It won't activate at certain speeds.

Highway speeds, 65 mph

5. I suppose you've tried different CD's? If you have then your cd player is dead. I think that error is something with the laser.

I've tried several that I've ripped and originals, nothing works. I'll probably be getting something different.

6. I've got Megan Coilover Sleeves. $100 and fairly easy to install (directions blow so you gotta figure it out yourself). They have a huge range of adjustment. I'm also using KYB AGX shocks with them. If you're going to use the stock shocks then you shouldn't drop too far or your blow them (the shocks).

I'll buy what is needed to acheive the adjustable drop with a nice cruising ride that I want. If I spend the money, I want good quality at a fair price. I don't mind spending to get it right.

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lilwhitecoupe said:
is the lil cruise button on hte left pushed in? stupid question but when i first got my 98 it wasnt and i was like wtf wont cruise work lol, idk if the 00 have the button or not...

Yep.....the light is on for the dashes cruise button

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Manual or Automatic transmission?

If it's manual, check the auto-shut off switch above the clutch pedal. If it is adjusted to be too high, the pedal won't hit it, so the cruise control continually thinks you're holding the clutch down, and won't allow you to set a cruise speed.

As far as the lurching, maybe check into a new fuel filter. I'm really leaning more towards ignition, as there can be real tricky things with ignition thru the power band, ie: runs fine below 2k and above 4k, but like s**t inbetween.

Ag00Civic

5+ Year Member
The error code prolly just means you need a new cd player...honda ones are expensive so I'd just go with a nice removable face deck from your fav electronics store.

Nice ride with a drop is achievable with adjustable shocks. i have an 00 EX and will be installing kyb agx's with H&R springs on rota 16's with kumho's so once I get those installed I'll post up my opinions as I also drive to school everyday.

cheap way to find out if v-tec is working is to remove your stock air box so that just the throttle body is exposed and then drive it. the air box also acts like a silencer and you'll hear v-tec when it kicks in at 5500 rpm's. it's just a diff tone you won't feel a thing. also once you do this one time make sure your hood is closed and do not continue driving it like this. or if you already have an intake thats another way to check it by hearing it. i don't know of another way to tell if it is there without electronics or diagnosis, but I am sure someone might chime in.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my car used to lunge and jerk. check your dizzy, including cap, rotor, ICM, etc.

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ag00Civic said:
The error code prolly just means you need a new cd player...honda ones are expensive so I'd just go with a nice removable face deck from your fav electronics store.

Nice ride with a drop is achievable with adjustable shocks. i have an 00 EX and will be installing kyb agx's with H&R springs on rota 16's with kumho's so once I get those installed I'll post up my opinions as I also drive to school everyday.

That's the setup I was leaning towards, except with Yokahama's. Which springs from H&R?

cheap way to find out if v-tec is working is to remove your stock air box so that just the throttle body is exposed and then drive it. the air box also acts like a silencer and you'll hear v-tec when it kicks in at 5500 rpm's. it's just a diff tone you won't feel a thing. also once you do this one time make sure your hood is closed and do not continue driving it like this. or if you already have an intake thats another way to check it by hearing it. i don't know of another way to tell if it is there without electronics or diagnosis, but I am sure someone might chime in.