shaking steering wheel

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i changed both front upper ball joints and outer tie rods recently.
it helped a little but i figured it needed an alignment so i got that done like last week.

it still shakes while i am driving about 50 55ish

my question: what could be the source of the shaking and what should be replaced to MAKE IT STOP!!!!:shock:

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its not like shaking uncontrolably but its just going left and right kind of jerky and it is very annoying going down the road everyday....

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats what i ask them to do? and how much would that cost?
but shouldn't they havve balanced the wheels when i got it aligned?

RonJ

Banned
thats what i ask them to do? and how much would that cost?
but shouldn't they havve balanced the wheels when i got it aligned?
It's best to balance all four wheels. It may cost around $5 per wheel. Alignment and balancing are completely different procedures.

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so where i got my car aligned should be able to do that also then correct?

should i probably get my new tires rotate them then get it balanced?

RonJ

Banned
ok so where i got my car aligned should be able to do that also then correct?

Probably. You can call them to verify.

should i probably get my new tires rotate them then get it balanced?

First have the balance of the wheels checked. You can decide whether or not to rotate them afterward.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's best to balance all four wheels. It may cost around $5 per wheel. Alignment and balancing are completely different procedures.
Cheapest I could find around me about 6 months ago was $10 a wheel. Tire Discounters wanted $20!

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
True. Just a warning on what prices I have seen.

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if it shake when you break then its your rotor+break double check them. mines was shaking hella hard and it was a line on the rotor...it f**ked up the break pad as well.

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my brakes are good and i will call around to see what i can find i hope it works

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did u check the rotor? also take off your tire to see if your rim is bent.

hondahappiness

5+ Year Member
ok, if youve already replaced the tie rods and what not. how is your tire wear? check to see if your tires are worn from the other bad parts that were on there. if you have good tires on the rear, rotate them to the front. if it doesnt stop have the balance checked. check to make sure you dont have a bent rim. after that your only choices are inner tie robs or the wheel bearings or your lower ball joints. the shop i work at charges 10 per wheel for balancing. so youd be lookin at 40 - 45 with tax. hope this helps you.

Joshreid

5+ Year Member
I just changed all my tie rods inner and outter, got an alignment and balanced with fairly new tires and the same thing happens with my 91 hatch. I think I found the problem its my steering rack, I work at a honda dealer in ontario, so I get all these things for free. Just saving you the trouble. Get your steering rack checked out apparently it's common for our year of cars.

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just curious, is it snowing in your area?

Check and make sure there isnt snow/mud somewhere on the inner part of your wheels.

Every winter up here, people get snow in their wheels and start threads not knowing its something as easy as that.

addiel1000

5+ Year Member
is prob. one of the rims is bent or something... it havent to me.. my front passenger wheel was bent due to a speed bump so i just put the front wheel in the back.. and it stoped