shaved tires?

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I was shopping for tires to replace my BF Goodridge G-Force sports. I was looking at these before,

But then I was browsing around Jtuned.com and saw that someone was running
Toyo Proxes RA-1- "Shaved".

Just wondering what that meant?

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From TireRack:

One of the reasons radial racing slicks are so effective is because they feature shallow tread depths and their contact patch acts as a single unit. However, any tread design breaks up the contact patch into smaller elements and additional deep tread depth (required to enhance wet traction) allows tread block squirm which will reduce dry performance. This means that tires typically provide their worst wet traction ... and their best dry performance just before they wear out. However, its also important to remember that the heat generated every time a tire is driven activates bonding agents in the rubber. As this process is repeated continually throughout the tire's life, its rubber compounds gradually harden and loose flexibility reducing the tire's grip. Therefore, a shaved "new" tire will provide more traction than a tire worn to the exact same tread depth after being driven for thousands of miles on the road.

Tire shaving is an effective means of permitting more of a tire's performance capability to be realized early in its life. Tire shaving removes tread rubber and reduces tire weight by several pounds. A shaved tire's tread profile will usually result in a slight increase in the width of the tire's contact patch putting a little more rubber on the road. The resulting shallower tread depths reduce the tire's slip angle, increases its responsiveness and help stabilize its cornering power by minimizing tread block squirm. Minimizing tread block squirm also reduces heat buildup and the risk of making the tire go "off" by overheating its tread compound. And in many cases, shaved tires used in competition actually have a longer useful life than tires that begin being run at full tread depth.

it's new to me...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/competition/shaving.jsp

civicnoob

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow... that was interesting read..Tirerack really does have some good info huh?

Vicious

1st gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that's some good info Lin

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like the idea of shaving tires, but I don't want to pay someone to decrease the life of my tires...

banzai

Exit Speed Garage
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good idea if you got some extra dough and are into racing mucho

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
hmm, I wonder if there's some sort of science behind the shaving process or do they in a nutshell "file your tires flat"? I wonder if doing a burnout gets the same progress.

I wonder if I should just get the tires I have "shaved".

does anyone here have shaved tires?

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
UnitZero said:
I wonder if I should just get the tires I have "shaved".
If they've been on the road, they won't do it.

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shaving usually takes the tread to 4or3/32in and should be used for the track. not very practical on the road b/c you are getting the tires at a tread depth nearing when normal tires get replaced

TurboEM1

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My preference is to just get full out slicks or street legal slicks. "Shaved" tires are not worth it to me. I have driven them and they do perform better then the "standard" grooved tire but are not nearly up to par as a slick. Also like stated before shaved tires are not daily driven or street driven since they are pretty much "worn" tires. They should be used as a track only tire and in that case it just does not make sense to get a track only tire that has a tread design not made for the track. Standard tires are made for rain, snow, light sand and other weather conditions. Even though they are shaved they still have components of a street tire like sipes, ribs, dimples, blocks ect that are not that great for the track. Just shaving a street tire does not make it as good as a tire designed for the track. Thats just my opinion and hopefully i explained it clearly.

TurboEM1

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also i forgot to mention the fact that although they are shaved they are still going to have a slightly higher void ratio then a slick which is not what you would want for traction on dry pavement. That is better for cleaning out mud and snow but not better for a performance car on dry pavement.

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
thats good to know, but I was looking for something for autoXing so I wasnt looking into slicks. When you had them, did you ever try the skid pad?

TurboEM1

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry man i have never autocrossed. Yea my post was in reference to drag racing but i think they would work good for autocross but i have no experience there. Sorry

solostsracer

Crazy CONE MASHER!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a set of Azenis shaved since I autocross alot. Typically about 30-40 events per year. I've found my shaved Azenis last longer than non-shaved. I think because there is less tire squirm which wears the tire and less heat created by tire squirm which prolongs the life of the tire.