*shhhh* need a QUIET muffler

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my current setup is a 3" catless system from the snail and ends with a Vibrant 3" turbo muffler. despite the description "muffler" this exhaust is retartedly loud. i want something to quiet down the exhaust tone a lot. so far my searches are coming up pretty thin. i need some help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110184347593&rd=1

http://www.performancepeddler.com/search_results.asp?leftcatid=2&displayStyle=1&chkHideImages=0&txtProdType=Muffler%2DUniversal&txtsearchParamMan=7&iLevel=2&subcat=3216

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The muffler isn't the problem. It's because you have no cat or resonator. You add these it will effect your performance. What a lot of people do around here is run a quiet exhaust for there turbo setup and have cutouts before the cat for track use.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The muffler isn't the problem. It's because you have no cat or resonator. You add these it will effect your performance. What a lot of people do around here is run a quiet exhaust for there turbo setup and have cutouts before the cat for track use.
thats why im thinking of changing out the muffler to something a little less flashy, like that vibrant black, and adding a resonator to the b-pipe. i just want some opinions of people's quiet exhaust setups

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats why im thinking of changing out the muffler to something a little less flashy, like that vibrant black, and adding a resonator to the b-pipe. i just want some opinions of people's quiet exhaust setups
If you have a 3in vibrant muffler then I wouldn't get something different. Muffler only helps a little. You need a resonator or cat put back on. Thats why I said run a cutout for times you want the noise and the extra hp.

I am running a d16z6with turbo setup to a stock cat, 2.5 custom exhaust with resonator and stock looking flowmaster muffler. Really quiet.

I was thinking about getting a e-cutout for track days.

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had a retardly loud exhaust to so on CC somebody sold me a RSR axle back because i already had 3" piping so you can buy an RSR exhaust

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im leaning towards the vibrant resonator with the vibrant black sleeper muffler. im really against the bright and shiny coffee can hanging out the back which is why i want to switch it out

thanks for your input guys

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i worked on a friends car in the shop i work at this friday and he has basically the same setup, a 3" exhaust from the turbo back, with a gutted 3" cat and apexi n1 at the end, its stupid loud, i think that its a good idea to keep a gutted cat or test pipe so i would say you should do 2 resonators.

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dynomax Super Turbo, at part throttle it sounds damn near stock. and thats even without a cat

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i just ordered a vibrant Streetpower flat black muffler and a vibrant 12" resonator, and got them both for $168 shipped. hopefully this will quiet things down a bit. ill let you guys know how it turns out when have it all installed

muffler

resonator

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

my brothers magnaflow ( custom tip though)...its pretty quiet.. 3" dp to 3" exhaust all the way back

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just ordered a vibrant Streetpower flat black muffler and a vibrant 12" resonator, and got them both for $168 shipped. hopefully this will quiet things down a bit. ill let you guys know how it turns out when have it all installed
$170 for a standard turbo muffler and resonator?? damn, did they at least kiss you?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
$170 for a standard turbo muffler and resonator?? damn, did they at least kiss you?
well, a vibrant TPV 3" universal coffee can is $150-$180, so i think $168 for a powdercoated muffler and a polished resonator shipped is a pretty good deal

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a high-flow (i.e. straight bulge pipe) in place of the Cat and use the Apexi World Sport and I am considerably quiter than anybody I know with an exhaust. People often ask if I have shut off the car or stalled it.
B

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i ran a magnaflow 12 inch resonator and a 3 chamber magnaflow muffler. mine was pretty quiet. not stock but definatly not loud. you can go down the highway at 80 and jump on it and still carry on a conversation without raising your voice at all. my baby in the back would never wake up either.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
these came in today. probably install tomorrow..

ATI>boosted<EM1

5+ Year Member
if you use a pace setter resonator exhaust tip it will make it sound almost stock.. i got 2.5 inch custom catback with some no name muffler and pacesetter exhaust tip.

91crixls

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
post a sound clip, i like that muffler and im lookin to get a new one

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
post a sound clip, i like that muffler and im lookin to get a new one
still trying to find a shop to do the install for less than an arm and a leg :roll: