Shifted to reverse

Blackle3

As I was approaching a stop I shifted my 1997 honda civic automatic to neutral but accedently to reverse and at 20mph it skreetched the tires and came to a stop then it started to go super slow and make weird noises then i turned it off and turned it on and drove normally but now if i shift from d2 to d3 it will act like its neutral please help!!!

Anyone?????? I managed to get home also the steering feels a bit weird and when I turn the car off and take off the key the sterring wheel wont lock it able to turn

Can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You are impatient not everyone lives on a forum and the post is only an hour old. You might have killed the transmission, look for any codes and maybe take it to a trans shop

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why the hell are you shifting an automatic? Sell the car and get a metropass.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't shift an automatic car. "D2" or "2" shouldn't be treated like second gear in a car with a manual transmission. It's used to keep the car in one gear while climbing steep hills or for maintaining a low speed when riding down steep hills. This saves on brakes.

You very well may have destroyed your transmission. Take it to a shop to find out more.

Blackle3

How did i break my transmission it still shifts to park,reverse and 1st gear (d2) but when shifting to d3 or d4 it will act as if its neutral

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If its doing something that its not supposed to do that it was not doing before you decided to be "cool" and rev your auto at a stop light then that by definition is indeed broken.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How did i break my transmission it still shifts to park,reverse and 1st gear (d2) but when shifting to d3 or d4 it will act as if its neutral
Looks like you answered your question. It's called grenading a transmission for a reason. The fact that you kept going instead of taking it out of reverse might have been just the thing to destroy it. My guess is that it is only a matter of time before you lose all the rest of the gears in it.

There is no need to put it in neutral coming up to a stop light. You found out one of the main reasons it's a bad idea.

Also want to point out, don't bump your thread every 15 minutes if you don't get replies. Keep doing it and it will just be taken down altogether. People will answer you when they have time, this isn't a chat room. All it does is piss people off and sparks off topic flaming.

Blackle3

Looks like you answered your question. It's called grenading a transmission for a reason. The fact that you kept going instead of taking it out of reverse might have been just the thing to destroy it. My guess is that it is only a matter of time before you lose all the rest of the gears in it.

There is no need to put it in neutral coming up to a stop light. You found out one of the main reasons it's a bad idea.

Also want to point out, don't bump your thread every 15 minutes if you don't get replies. Keep doing it and it will just be taken down altogether. People will answer you when they have time, this isn't a chat room. All it does is piss people off and sparks off topic flaming.
from reverse it screetched the tires then when i came to a stop i put it on d2 and it was acting weird so i turned it off then on and it was going well untill i noticed i cant shift to d3 or d4

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not sure if trolling or mentally handicapped...
Sorry if you're being serious, but you have been answered multiple times, you obviously destroyed that synchro. As I had mentioned earlier, AUTOMATIC transmissions were meant to be placed in a gear and AUTOMATICALLY shifted via preset ecu shift points , MANUAL transmissions require the driver to MANUALLY shift from gear to gear.

Moral of the story, your automatic civic transmission is toast. Learn how to drive or don't bother..

Blackle3

how much would it cost for repairs? 1997 honda civic automatic

also i appoligize for repeating the same question i just really need to know how much it would cost for repairs

Last edited by a moderator:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how much would it cost for repairs? 1997 honda civic automatic
It depends on where you get a new transmission. If you want to have a shop source the transmission and replace it, it may be around 2000. (Just an estimate)

If you can find a good deal at a junkyard on a decent used transmission and can install it yourself, or with a friend or parent, you could maybe find one anywhere from 150 bucks to 300 bucks, all the way up to 500 a month. Just depends on location.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would say 1k to 2k for new transmission and labor hours. Expensive life lesson if I do say so myself

Blackle3

It depends on where you get a new transmission. If you want to have a shop source the transmission and replace it, it may be around 2000. (Just an estimate)

If you can find a good deal at a junkyard on a decent used transmission and can install it yourself, or with a friend or parent, you could maybe find one anywhere from 150 bucks to 300 bucks, all the way up to 500 a month. Just depends on location.
how about a rebuild

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We can't tell you for sure what it is going to be for a replacement or a rebuild. YOU are going to have to do the leg work and find out what the rates are near you. Every shop is different.

Blackle3

We can't tell you for sure what it is going to be for a replacement or a rebuild. YOU are going to have to do the leg work and find out what the rates are near you. Every shop is different.
alright, thanks i appreciate it guys

Blackle3

what tranny?

i just blew my tranny yesterday and im planning on replacing it it is a d-series single cam would any d-series work for it