Should I buy this to learn stick?

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, I don't know how to drive stick. Never had the need to and my family never drove stick. I'm thinking of buying a new car in stick, but don't want to learn on a new car. I found a 1985 Prelude with 86k on it, mechanically sound, just a little rough on the interior. Do you guys think that is a good car to learn on? I think I can get it for $500.

CivicKid95

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Learning to drive a manual transmission equipped vehicle isn't really very difficult. I bought one before I had much experience at all. If you want to have a car to beat up on a bit, the prelude sounds like it could work well. if you have a friend with a manny-tranny car you could try asking them. I personally will not teach people how to drive stick in my car.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Do it. But every car is different imo

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, every car is a little different, but II don't want to learn on a $30k car. I understand the general theory, but haven't done it in practice.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it's fun but I have to say, for DD'ing, I love my Auto.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think it would be a waste, driving stick is easy. You'll have it figured out in an afternoon or so anyones, it's probably not worth it to buy a car just to learn on.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I learned on an old subaru. Can't beat no burnouts and plenty of torque.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You can learn stick in an afternoon, but it takes practice to get comfortable with it. I know how to learn stick, my father taught me on his car, but personally I wouldnt want to have to learn on a brand new $30k car. Id say that if you have the $500 to throw down for now (you could probably turn around and sell the car for the same price you baught it at) then go for it.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I disagree with people saying to not buy the old car. It is a good idea, better to be more rough on the older car than on the new one, especially on a near new tranny. I just recently learned stick about 2 years ago on a old 4th gen civic. It was a funny experience. The first month I regretted getting a manual car, but now I hate Automatics.At first you have to concentrate on shifting while driving, but after a year I don't even think about shifting; I just do it!=) I can now talk on the phone and drive without getting distracted.

I think it would be a good idea, especially if you can sell your practice car in 6 months or so and recoupe most of your money back. Go for it! and have fun! That was one of the best experiences I have ever had in a car:D

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i hate it being called "stick" or "stick shift" it sounds nasty and improper. it's manual transmission goddammit.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i hate it being called "stick" or "stick shift" it sounds nasty and improper. it's manual transmission goddammit.
x1000

You might as well say, "do you know how to drive d**k?" or "I need to learn how to drive d**k?" "I would buy that car but I can't because it's d**k"

Gibz

5+ Year Member
Owning a subaru i say buy the cheap car and have the suby as well. Even when you know how to drive the car you will want to have a car thats better on gas than the suby haha. Gas is not cheap when you drive a subaru. I have two of them and yesterday a fill up cost me 55 bucks per car.

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
x1000

You might as well say, "do you know how to drive d**k?" or "I need to learn how to drive d**k?" "I would buy that car but I can't because it's d**k"
Sounds like you guys aren't too comfortable with yourselves. Got a few skeletons in the closet do we?

DX raceR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
x1000

:haha::haha::hitlol:

i would say yes. buy the $500 prelude.. learn how to drive a manual and then go for the new car you want..

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well
i have no problem with you buyin an older car to practice in...just not an 85 prelude! lol them things were garbage in the day. its carbeurated, plus it doesnt have the strongest trans to learn on either. buy a 3rd gen accord. 86-89 that is efi. all the LXis are EFI. they are by far the est car IMO to learn on. plus. its good on gas. and you will actually like driving the car.

Buckn8ked

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I learned how to drive a stick on the sit down version of San Fransico rush video game at chucky cheese =)
No joke here.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dude dont spend $500 on a car just to learn MT. when i bought my car i had no MT experience, my mom drove it off the lot to our house. that afternoon i tought myself to drive it in about 30 mins and was very comfortable with it after an hour or two. if you understand the procedure for driving stick then learning it takes no time at all

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
remember, learning how to drive a hydrolic clutch and a cable clutch has two different feelings...so..going from a prelude to say..a 6th gen civic....major difference in feel.