Should I buy this?

bigskyeric

Car has 200k, not sure if the timing belt has been done, has headers, lowered a bit, no dents, newer paint (but it isn't perfect) Interior is nice except for small rip in the seat. It doesn't have air or cruise (is that normal????) it's $1500. Thanks!!

gotz02skate

5+ Year Member
i dunno how common civics are out there or the price... But IMO if you know how to do d16 swaps go for it... Civics in LA are dime a Dozen. People sell them on craigslist with 200k miles for like 3,000 salvage titles even... i think it looks clean.. WIsh i had a Hatch =( timing belt is an easy 100 Dollar fix BTW. when i had my place it was making a high pitched screach during acceleration..

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is there any rust?? Cant really tell from the photos. If the rust isnt too bad i'd say do it!! Those are hard to find without tons of rust.

Tyler91civic

Id say buy it!!! it looks like a good car to work with or even to leave as is!! (non of them have cruise and air con i believe was an option but very few people have it)

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Try to talk him down to $1300... I would get it though...

bigskyeric

He wanted $1700, I have him down to $1500 plus I have to drive about 3 hours to pick it up. Says it is rust free, but I'm guessing the underside has some rust. The previous owner painted it himself, but the owner says it is an 8 on a scale of 1-10. The wheels are painted black now, but what ever.

bigskyeric

does anyone know of an aftermarket Cruise system? only thing that is really bothering me about the car. Also, what kind of 0-60 times can I expect out a 108hp 2250 pound car? I know the MPGs are amazing with these cars. I had a 93 ex 4door and it got 38mpg. Really, I want it so I can fit all my detailing stuff in it, as I am a mobile detailer up here in Montana. Thanks for all the help guys. Much better then the help I got on the Prelude forum. I just sold my 93 SI 4ws today. FUUUN car, but absolutely NO ROOM.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that car looks good i would buy it but that's just me though

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It depends on what you will be using it for, and what your plans are. If its going to be your daily, definitely take it to a shop to get it checked out. If its a project car, and you eventually plan on swapping the drivetrain and upgrading suspension, dont worry about it too much.

bigskyeric

work

I doubt I'll be doing a swap. It'll be a daily driver, but I rarely drive more then a few miles in my little town. I'll be going fishing with it to the river about an hour away, the speed limit is only 60 and 55 through yellowstone national park. Basically, I want cheap transportation to offset my gas guzzling truck. I have an 01 CL Type S for road trips. I know these engines go forever if maintained. Owner says the oil has been changed every 3000 but he has only had the car for 4 months. Maybe the previous owner told him the same. I'm sure I'll have to do a few things to it. Probably bushings, motor mounts, timing belt, water pump. Change the fluids. If I end up really liking the car, then maybe a swap. The nearest mechanic that does swaps is in Billings MT about 4 hours away, so that is an issue in itself. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There are a very very limited amont of cars that i would buy with 200k on it. And a civic isnt one of them. I dont care if its been babied.. thats alot of usage. Kinda like a transexual... would you still hit.. knowing its still a man? thats up to you.

I dont know man.. I mean, I've dealt with these "regular oil chages every 3k miles", "no rust", "drives great" people in the past.. You drive that 4 hour trip and its a pile of crap. Imo I wouldnt get it.. Daily or not, it still needs to be reliable. If its rusted on the underside (which i would have him get pictures of), needs a timing belt and other cosmetics.. your talking about a pretty penny depending on the amount of damage.

Not to mention it seemed that he showed you a pic w/ silver wheels and now suddenly they are black? sounds kinda sketchy imo. If you do pursue it.. Get DETAILED pics before you waste your time/gas driving all that way to find out its crap.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I kind of have to agree with raz. Get MANY more detailed pictures of the car. Tell him what you are looking for in a car, and list what your expectations are to buy the car. That if you get there and it doesnt meet those expectations, you will not be purchasing it. Ask for more detailed pictures. And having 3 cars, I hope insurance is cheap as s**t for you :lol:

bigskyeric

There are a very very limited amont of cars that i would buy with 200k on it. And a civic isnt one of them. I dont care if its been babied.. thats alot of usage. Kinda like a transexual... would you still hit.. knowing its still a man? thats up to you.

I dont know man.. I mean, I've dealt with these "regular oil chages every 3k miles", "no rust", "drives great" people in the past.. You drive that 4 hour trip and its a pile of crap. Imo I wouldnt get it.. Daily or not, it still needs to be reliable. If its rusted on the underside (which i would have him get pictures of), needs a timing belt and other cosmetics.. your talking about a pretty penny depending on the amount of damage.

Not to mention it seemed that he showed you a pic w/ silver wheels and now suddenly they are black? sounds kinda sketchy imo. If you do pursue it.. Get DETAILED pics before you waste your time/gas driving all that way to find out its crap.
I'm a bodyman/detailer, so the black wheels don't bother me. He said he painted them himself, I've done that before, I'll probably end up painting them bronze anyways. Funny, if there was a car I would buy with 200k it WOULD be a civic. (have you had issues with civics???) They seem to run forever. IMHO I forgot to add in the fact that Hondas are IMPOSSIBLE to find in Montana. And when you do, they are WWAAAYYY overpriced. It's either this, or I buy a 90 4dr dx with dents, rust, bad paint, and a slipping transmission for $1000. This car looks good, It's a rare SI hatch.(very rare around here, I've seen 1 in the last 5 years ) owner swears everything is good, and no rust anywhere on the car. Even the valve cover looks new (usually the paint is chipped off) He has promised me the car is legit after about 30 text messages. Doesn't burn oil, or any leaks, which leads me to believe the valve cover gasket has been replaced at some point. I've always wanted one of these, and this car is calling my name. I'll keep you all posted. Think I'm headed to Idaho on Saturday.

bigskyeric

I kind of have to agree with raz. Get MANY more detailed pictures of the car. Tell him what you are looking for in a car, and list what your expectations are to buy the car. That if you get there and it doesnt meet those expectations, you will not be purchasing it. Ask for more detailed pictures. And having 3 cars, I hope insurance is cheap as s**t for you :lol:
Ya, the wife drives the Acura, I love my ford, but it's a ford and has left me stranded before. For what I pay extra in insurance for the 3rd car, I save in gas and wear and tear on the truck. Plus, I just love driving honda's. That, and I'll put it back on Craigslist when I get it back and hopefully turn a profit. I just made $1500 off of my Prelude, so this car is essentially free. Even the tires are new. I'm gonna miss cruise control, but the furthest it will be driven will be 60 miles away.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the only thing that sounds fishy is that hes only had it for 4 months. not always a bad thing but just be on the look out for something wrong with it

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm a bodyman/detailer, so the black wheels don't bother me. He said he painted them himself, I've done that before, I'll probably end up painting them bronze anyways. Funny, if there was a car I would buy with 200k it WOULD be a civic. (have you had issues with civics???) They seem to run forever. IMHO I forgot to add in the fact that Hondas are IMPOSSIBLE to find in Montana. And when you do, they are WWAAAYYY overpriced. It's either this, or I buy a 90 4dr dx with dents, rust, bad paint, and a slipping transmission for $1000. This car looks good, It's a rare SI hatch.(very rare around here, I've seen 1 in the last 5 years ) owner swears everything is good, and no rust anywhere on the car. Even the valve cover looks new (usually the paint is chipped off) He has promised me the car is legit after about 30 text messages. Doesn't burn oil, or any leaks, which leads me to believe the valve cover gasket has been replaced at some point. I've always wanted one of these, and this car is calling my name. I'll keep you all posted. Think I'm headed to Idaho on Saturday.
That's going to help alot that you do bodywork just in case the pictures are decieving (which alot of times they are) No, I havent had a very bad experience w/ Civics or any Honda I've owned in general, just with those miles, I would probably get a nicer car.. but then again, your price would go up significantly.. thats just me though.

Well, since you have a good feeling about it, go with it. You are the best judge in this scenerio since you have talked to the seller directly. BTW the car does look great, and if they are hard to come by in your area then this does sound like a good deal. Good luck, and keep us updated!