Should I convert?

Should I convert?

• Total voters

TripeoXxX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK I want some opinions on whether or not I should do the auto to manual conversion. No, I am not asking about the price or the technical aspects (I already read every single thread on it), just opinions. And money is no object, I plan on getting the coversion kit from http://www.d-a-p.com/ for $850. I would like to know if you think driving a stick would suit me. I am a lazy bastard who hates traffic, but I want to have more fun driving and the option of going turbo in the future. How many other lazy people out there who hate traffic drive stick and enjoy it?

Last edited:

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats alittle on the pricey side just for parts. other than that i say do it.

radarblips

WELCOME TO VUVLAR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TripeoXxX said:
OK I want some opinions on whether or not I should do the auto to manual conversion. No, I am not asking about the price or the technical aspects (I already read every single thread on it), just opinions. And money is no object, I plan on getting the coversion kit from http://www.d-a-p.com/ for $850. I would like to know if you think driving a stick would suit me. I am a lazy bastard who hates traffic, but I want to have more fun driving and the option of going turbo in the future. How many other lazy people out there who hate traffic drive stick and enjoy it?
man i hate traffic, i got lost in atlanta for three hours today and i drive a stick. imo its not that bad. Once you get used to driving a stick you really dont pay attention to shifting, its like second nature, just my 2 pesos

coops92hatch

u kept up....until 5k rpm
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id say do it, im used to drivin a stick, it does make it a lil more exciting.

92civicex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go for it. if money is no object then a stick would def. be worth it. I want to do the conversion but the lack of money is the problem for me.

92civicex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
P.S. Discovery Automotive is awsome! that is where I bought my throttle body when my tps sensor went out.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
this is a no brainer, you obviously should convert to a 5spd. traffic shtraffic, it's no big deal at all as long as u have good clutch control and good first gear throttle control. i've been in a 3hour traffic jam before and it's no biggie at all.. driving a stick doesn't require any thinking nor extra effort, imho. it's extremely natural, at least for me.... besides, do u want to hold ur foot down on the brake all the time in traffic? granted you can put it in neutral in an auto too, but when u're driving a 5spd u do that already....

i can't imagine NOT having a stick in my daily driver. i've never owned an automatic car, and i've never had much fun driving autos

krayziejcs

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have to agree with bklynEG thats quite a high price for just parts. i had this on my mind also for a while also but since i found a shop willin to do the conversation and an engine swap for 750 i've made up my mind to go for the conv and an engine swap

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
krayziejcs said:
i found a shop willin to do the [highlight]conversation[/highlight] and an engine swap for 750
so you're gonna pay $750 to have a new engine dropped in, and be spoken to by someone? im guessing its gonna be a long conversation since an engine swap usually takes a good amount of time.

just messin with ya :P

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
anfrey said:
this is a no brainer, you obviously should convert to a 5spd. traffic shtraffic, it's no big deal at all as long as u have good clutch control and good first gear throttle control. i've been in a 3hour traffic jam before and it's no biggie at all.. driving a stick doesn't require any thinking nor extra effort, imho. it's extremely natural, at least for me.... besides, do u want to hold ur foot down on the brake all the time in traffic? granted you can put it in neutral in an auto too, but when u're driving a 5spd u do that already....

i can't imagine NOT having a stick in my daily driver. i've never owned an automatic car, and i've never had much fun driving autos
:werd: I had a 98 LX that was auto. Great for 5 min runs to teh store but other than that 5 speed is great.

Plus you can have cruise control with a manual just like auto.

So if you go tthe loot to back up the work. Then do it.

biggestboy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I switched to only manual cars a few years ago, & i would never own another automatic.

That auto stick or sport shift s**t sux too.

Jibber

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I say convert...if you got the money to..then why not??

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it's not worth the effort and money.
sell your car and get a manual...

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If money isnt an object then why dont you just sell the car and buy a manual...?

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i love driving stick, but a conversion is worthless, either trade it in, or deal with auto, conversions have tendancy to go wrong, but hey its your car and $$$

42Steps

Welcome my son....
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would say sell the car and buy a stick..... Just not worth the price to do a conversion.....

92civicex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does 750 bucks include parts or is that just labor. If it is just labor then def. go for it. I have only found one shop that cost 1000bucks if you get a motor swap with them. Otherwise it's 1500 bucks.

TripeoXxX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The reason that I don't want to sell my car and just buy a manual is because it will end up costing about the same after paying taxes, registration and hooking it up again. Right now I've spent about $2500 hooking up my ride and if I sell it I'll loose that money because mods don't add value to cars. Plus it is a hasle selling a car and also buying one. When you buy a car you wind up having to fix this and fix that and giving it a tune up. I've had my car for over a year and I know what is wrong with it and what isn't. Plus this isn't even that much money for what it is.

So my only options is to either convert or keep it auto. If you people say that conversions don't turn out good, then I'll just keep it auto.

I appresiate your opinions fellas, keep em coming. :thumbs up

Last edited: