SI 1998. Check engine light on, want to turn it off

etipou

5+ Year Member
Hi guys,
I have a Civic si 1998.
First, is there a way to get the code without a code reader?(by morse code)
Is there a trick to turn it off?
Thanks

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
autozone free check

etipou

5+ Year Member
Thanks, but I'm from Canada so we don't have these store.
There must be a way to at least turn it off by ourself. And than if it turns on again, than I guest I will have to go to the garage.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Or you can goto Sears ( i know they have them in O' Canada) and buy a code reader. Then, when you throw another code, you can diagnose it yourself. Or u can goto your local shop and pay 50.00 for someone else to plug their reader in and find out whats wrong.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
disconnect your battery for a couple minuets. that will reset everything in the car, including the radio, and the computer will be cleared of all codes.

Mono

Banned
Disconnecting the battery will not fix the problem. You will need to fix which ever sensor is faulty or possible vacuum leak which diagnostic won't detect. Once you fix the problem then you would reset the ecu by disconnecting negative cable or removing back-up fuse for 10 sec. If you fixed the problem successfully the check engine light won't come on. GL!

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just buy a obd2 code reader. read the code. write it down. clear the code. return the code reader and say its not what you wanted. get back on cc and tell us what you got.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hi guys,
I have a Civic si 1998.
First, is there a way to get the code without a code reader?(by morse code)
Is there a trick to turn it off?
Thanks
to read the code there will be a blue two wire plug under the dash on the far left side of the car. bend a paperclip and stick in in this plug. then turn the ignition to ON but dont start the car. the check engine light will begin to flash. all honda codes are two digit codes, long flashes are tens and short flashes are ones.

i.e. - long long long short short = 32

then look up the code here - http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=978933
the link also has the instructions i just told you.

Disconnecting the battery will not fix the problem. You will need to fix which ever sensor is faulty or possible vacuum leak which diagnostic won't detect. Once you fix the problem then you would reset the ecu by disconnecting negative cable or removing back-up fuse for 10 sec. If you fixed the problem successfully the check engine light won't come on. GL!
he didnt ask how to fix it, he asked how to turn off the light.

Mono

Banned

Well if you read the questions he's asking how to read the code and how to turn it off, common sense would be fix the problem first then reset it not vise versa.

:smackself

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
zb12691 autozone free check
autozone doesnt do free checks anymore. nor rent out tha scanner anymore. its against tha law now. for sum reason idk.

jdm jim aamco transmission scans for free now.
since when does aamco do it for free? they charge 48n bucks.

wannabe
actually his initial question was how do i check tha codes hence wanting to figure out so it can b fixed.
but to reset all he needs to do is remove tha ecu fuse after fixing the problem of coarse.

wannabe

to read the code there will be a blue two wire plug under the dash on the far left side of the car. bend a paperclip and stick in in this plug. then turn the ignition to ON but dont start the car. the check engine light will begin to flash. all honda codes are two digit codes, long flashes are tens and short flashes are ones.
actually i think thats for obd1 civics. for obd2 u will need a scanner.
the only other way woudl b if u had a obd1 chipped ecu with a data logger which am pretty sure u dont.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
B.A.R stopped that due to taking business away from automotive repair shops.
I totally believe that. Soon they will figure out a way to charge for the air we breathe! Stores like Auto Zone and such are catered for the DIY'er and should rent them out if people know what they are doing. Ive been turned away from shops cause i needed a rotor alignment bolt removed that was stuck and no one wanted to touch it cause it wasnt a big ticket job and/or they didnt know how to charge for it. I still am in disbelief that shops charge 150.00 and up just to throw on rotors and pads! Took me 60.00 and 45 minutes.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^Yeah I was thinking that was probably the reason...bastards!

f**k it am obd1 :D
f**k a scanner!

00 si

5+ Year Member
i stay in vegas and auto zone does it for free and in lompoc it's also for free if you go to auto zone and also wannabe your right if you find that plug in the passanger side by the ecu you can read the code's the way you explained it good luck with your problem..

KWH924

5+ Year Member
I work at Autozone here in VA an we still scan for free even though we're "not suppose" to clear them

etipou

5+ Year Member
Thank wannabe for your detailed answer, I will try that.
My goal is to have a idea of want is the problem before going to a repair shops.
And this is exactly what I meant by ''morse code''!!!