Slowing down before shifting

replicator

My automatic '00 LX slows down before shifting gears 1-3, could be normal I suppose. The issue diminishes, and eventually disappears after the car has warmed. It only has 79k miles, so I doubt it's a mechanical issue. No weird sounds or clicks during regular shifting.

Thoughts?

Trekk

Registered VIP
Do you mean it shifts gears at higher rpm's (later)? or are the mph are going down before it shifts?

Normally most auto's, when they are cold, stay in gear longer to heat up the transmission fluid faster.

replicator

Yes sir, typically at higher RPMs it's less noticeable. At low RPM's it slows down for a second before shifting. Barely noticeable, but I'm very aware of things in general.

joeshmo

Which valve are you talking about? I'm talking about the tranny valve, not the throttle valve.

joeshmo

You probably won't be able to check the valve body. I'm not sure about these honda autos, but I know for my chrysler one could check for transmission codes with the proper reader. Have you checked the trasmission fluid?

replicator

Yeah, the color of the fluid is great and it smells healthy (no burning smell, fresh transparent dark pink)

replicator

I'm not sure what you mean by level, level of the fluid? Looks dead on the top marker, which is ideal. It shifts seamlessly warmed up too.

joeshmo

Huh, I wonder if it might be as already mentioned just a function to warm up the tranny fluid more quickly/

replicator

Huh, I wonder if it might be as already mentioned just a function to warm up the tranny fluid more quickly/
Yep, as time flies, shifting becomes smoother and smoother, and after about 10-15 minutes of driving, it becomes seamless. Sure hope that's all it is. :]