Small change for daily Drive

sarquez

5+ Year Member
Hey Guys.

I'm about to do some small changes to my D16Y7, thinking about to replace my header with a 4x2x1, or should I go with a 4x1?

Also intake manifold (D16Y7 original), will be replaced by a Skunk2, and I'll do my spark plugs, but these are a headache on the Civics so I got the following options:

Accel;
NGK;
MSD;
Vision (Never heard of this before).

Which do you recommend to sub a set of old spark plug wires?

Thanks!

sarquez

5+ Year Member
Thanks Wax Hands, its one for NGK.

Hey SleepingSol, never heard of those, are the really good??? Expensive???

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had magnacores on my Y8 build years ago andloved them. ithink i paid somewhere around 100 for them

sarquez

5+ Year Member
Not bad! Problem is to get them to Brazil LOL!!! But no worries got some importing companies here that will do the trick!

My car was taken to a repair shop for usual preventive check, and the fools at the shop changed my spark plugs for a 3rd line brand... Car will have RPM from 500 to 0 constantly... And now that I'll do some small mods better off getting something good right!?

By the way... The thrown my old wires away and wanted to charge me 320 for that crap, got a lawsuit against theses guys and won, so now they'll pay for my new wires!

sarquez

5+ Year Member
I'll place later on the pics from these crap wires... You'll be shocked as I was... If wans't my car I would be laughing... But it really sucks!

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey Guys.

I'm about to do some small changes to my D16Y7, thinking about to replace my header with a 4x2x1, or should I go with a 4x1?

Also intake manifold (D16Y7 original), will be replaced by a Skunk2, and I'll do my spark plugs, but these are a headache on the Civics so I got the following options:

Accel;
NGK;
MSD;
Vision (Never heard of this before).

Which do you recommend to sub a set of old spark plug wires?

Thanks!
a few concerns:

if you don't have any big plans for your d16y7 down the road, don't get a header for your daily driver. you will regret it. i used to have one on mine, not worth it.

if you're on a tight budget, go with a d16y8 intake manifold swap instead. its alot cheaper, and you will probably get a little better results.

spark plugs are in no ways considered a headache and are one of the easiest things to do. go with NGK

on a nearly stock civic, oem spark plug wires will do

sarquez

5+ Year Member
a few concerns:

if you don't have any big plans for your d16y7 down the road, don't get a header for your daily driver. you will regret it. i used to have one on mine, not worth it.

if you're on a tight budget, go with a d16y8 intake manifold swap instead. its alot cheaper, and you will probably get a little better results.

spark plugs are in no ways considered a headache and are one of the easiest things to do. go with NGK

on a nearly stock civic, oem spark plug wires will do

Jersey,

Thanks for the tips man... Funny as it may seem, 4x2x1 headers are very cheap in Brazil, now the intake my friend... They will rip your heart out... About USD 800. Can you believe this...

Still I had in the past a 4x1 in one Chevy ride, small engine too... Didn't notice any change... Actually the car felt very slow on low RPMs.

I hear alot about the 4x2x1, specially because I worked at Honda in the past, but hearing is one thing... Proving it is another!

Thanks again, I'll take your advice!

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Then again, you have a d16y7....107hp at the crank...When I had a 4-2-1 header along with a full cat-back exhaust, I didn't notice any sort of improvement at all.

Same with the intake manifold, the y7 isn't designed to be a huge powerplant. If you want better looks, just go with an eBay header and y8 intake manifold. Keep with the $2 OEM NGK replacement spart plugs and I'd just stay with OEM wires too.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
4-2-1 header is where you will lose performance on the bottom end, and gain some on the top end. I would not suggest it for your car. 4-2-1 is good for muscle cars because they have good torque down low, and won't suffer much of a power loss.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jersey,

Thanks for the tips man... Funny as it may seem, 4x2x1 headers are very cheap in Brazil, now the intake my friend... They will rip your heart out... About USD 800. Can you believe this...

Still I had in the past a 4x1 in one Chevy ride, small engine too... Didn't notice any change... Actually the car felt very slow on low RPMs.

I hear alot about the 4x2x1, specially because I worked at Honda in the past, but hearing is one thing... Proving it is another!

Thanks again, I'll take your advice!
just to clarify, i wasn't talking about the price of headers. what i was trying to say was you will probably get better results from a y8 intake manifold, rather then a skunk 2 intake mani. and the y8 is cheaper

sarquez

5+ Year Member
just to clarify, i wasn't talking about the price of headers. what i was trying to say was you will probably get better results from a y8 intake manifold, rather then a skunk 2 intake mani. and the y8 is cheaper
Jersey, thanks man! I got you point of view... I haven't seem many mani's Y8 on the market for sale, but I'll follow your tought, heard the same thing from a professional mechanic (only Hondas) near my work!

Thanks bro!

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jersey, thanks man! I got you point of view... I haven't seem many mani's Y8 on the market for sale, but I'll follow your tought, heard the same thing from a professional mechanic (only Hondas) near my work!

Thanks bro!
haha just making sure. let me know if you have any more questions and good luck with your work on the car

sarquez

5+ Year Member
haha just making sure. let me know if you have any more questions and good luck with your work on the car
Thanks a lot Jersey!

Man I'm thinking about dropping some of this project... Maybe go for a Juice bottle from Zex... 50 shot is more than I need... Just extra power for passing by trucks on the road (these guys are nuts here in Brazil, they drive like normal cars!!!)

But anyways NGK cables are a good to go!