So i'm thinking about buying the Samsung smart watch.. Tell me why I shouldn't

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Here's my thoughts. During breaks and lunch, I gather at the table along with everyone else and everyone has their phones on the table. I keep mine out so I can see when I have messages and use the "noLED" app (galaxy S2) which is pretty cool for displaying when I have messages or app's trying to tell me there's something I need to do within the app. In the car, I have my phone out so I can see it. Basically where ever i'm at where i'm sitting down, I have my phone out to keep an eye on it.

So my thinking on the smart watch is that it'd be nice to not have to do that all the time. For convenience. The money isn't an issue and the fact I have to have a Note 3 (i'm told) to use it doesn't bother me either (time to upgrade). I don't wear a watch so this would be a convenience too for not having to keep pulling my phone out to see the time/date. Maybe i'll like wearing a watch again....

Anyway. Does anyone have a reason why I shouldn't get one? Never mind the money, never mind the Apple vs Droid debate (I have a couple ipads and a desktop mac so i'm not anti or pro any company. I like them both). I see they have to be charged in a special charger thing.. Oh well I guess. I tried one out about a half hour ago and it seemed like a good buy. Does anyone here have one or know why I shouldn't get one? Is something coming out that's better? Just looking for pro/con info I guess.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The only real thing holding me back from getting it is the money, and since it doesn't bother you then go for it.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I don't wear a watch so this would be a convenience too for not having to keep pulling my phone out to see the time/date.
Regular watches do that as well :lol: Honestly, I can't personally see the need for it, then again I don't use my phone nearly as much as other people do. My job prohibits me from having my phone on me, and I work ~12 hour days. Between that and sleeping :what:

If you like it, get it.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Never heard of this. Might need to look into something like this as well except im not allowed to wear jewelry at work or a watch...

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love wearing watches but can't wear mine at work since I work in food service and they harbor bacteria. :( I say go for it. Mr money bags :lol:

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
My job prohibits me from having my phone on me

I didn't think about this. My new job i think might be the same way. I should ask them because that would kill it for me right there. I've already had to sign two non disclosure agreements and signed something saying I would never take pictures inside the hanger. The camera on the wrist band might be enough for them to ban it. Thanks for bringing this up!

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
phones are delicate enough, why put it on your big orangutan arm? youre bound to hit your wrist/phone against the wall...

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
LOL... Would you agree that a lot of guys (not named me) would and probably have spent several hundred on a "normal" watch with out worry of smacking against a wall? You can get insurance on this product just like a phone i'm guessing. I've been buying insurance for all my phones for 10+ years and have never once filed a claim. Never had a broke screen, never had a phone crap out, never lost one, never damaged one. Knocking on wood, i'm hoping that's still the case for another 10 more years.

Still, I see your point. It's $300 on your wrist as opposed to your pocket.

... One thing to consider is that it is indeed only compatible with the note 3 currently (So now i'm $600 deep on two products). And the note is twice the size of my S2 so getting it in/out of my pocket is going to be a new experience. I might as well have my ipad mini in there! LOL ... So in that sense, it almost makes sense to have a viewable screen on your wrist. I think i've already talked myself into getting one, but i'm waiting on confirmation from my new employer that I'll be able to wear it at work.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yup. Sounds like you have already made your decision.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-gear-smartwatch/35826691?ds=1

I read this article. I'm not too impressed personally, but if you still like it go for it
I read that too. The thing here is that their comparing it to an actual smartphone which makes sense because of the price point. Right? But, that's not what it was designed for. I think what Cnet (and the rest of the nay sayers) are looking for is something to replace the phone altogether. Me too. This however is not meant for that but rather an assistant of sorts. All the negative complaints I read have to do with it's lack of function as compared to a smart phone which this is not meant to replace, but assist. Think about this. What did people say when smart phones came out? Ridiculously overpriced and why would you want to carry a half computer half phone in your pocket?

The price is the killing point for people. I admit, $300 is a lot of money to blow on an unproven device no matter how much money you make. But for my reasoning behind getting one, I think it makes sense. It's a convenience (how ever small, but convenient non the less) that works for me. Plus, again, i'm do for an upgrade so the Note 3 would be something i'd be interested in getting anyway.

And lastly, I deserve to blow some cash once in a while damn it! LOL... I live in the middle of ****ing no where and have been working under the pressure of someone holding a gun standing behind me on Grizzley bear watch! Tell me I don't deserve to spend $300 on something that may be a total flop :lol: hahah

I'll let you guys know how it pans out and post up some pics should I pull the trigger in the next couple days.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If ur wanting to blow some pointless money-- i know of a mighty poinltess cause thats in my garage...

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
LOL... Must also bring more convenience to my life! ... I doubt $300 would put a dent in your project anyway =)