So my car died...

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
^ the same just happened to my boy n his is300. We ended up replacing the terminal

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Based on my personal experience, the only thing that really came to my mind was battery terminals. I had a similar issue...

I'd go out with my car, drive 100% fine, park it, leave it, come back, and no start. Pre-starting, everything felt the same but it wouldn't crank at all. It didn't even click. I'd sit there a few minutes, it'd fire up and go back to normal. It happened on and off for a few weeks then finally it happened while I was driving. The dash flickered, my engine cut out for the slightest fraction of a second, then everything kicked back on. I pulled it over and it turns out one of my battery cable terminals was falling apart and didn't have a secure connection to the battery itself.

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the could be an issue, the terminals were replaced when I installed my amp

so it "shouldnt" be the issue, but i'm taking to another shop and not telling them anything and see what they say

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
the could be an issue, the terminals were replaced when I installed my amp

so it "shouldnt" be the issue, but i'm taking to another shop and not telling them anything and see what they say
My boy replaced his terminials when he did his system to. The terminals from auto one are junk. Go with OEM terminals

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Trekk

Registered VIP
it works all the time, we do it at work multiple times a day to diagnose a starter
That works but it is really bad advise to give. Today's starters have thin permanent magnets in them that are not very impact friendly. Banging on it would fall under grease monkey technique. The correct way would be to pull it and test it or jump the solenoid.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That works but it is really bad advise to give. Today's starters have thin permanent magnets in them that are not very impact friendly. Banging on it would fall under grease monkey technique. The correct way would be to pull it and test it or jump the solenoid.
you dont smash the s**t out of it, just tap it. ive never had an issue with doing this or have seen one and we only really get in new or fairly new cars. you just need to use common sense with the force you use

and in the flat rate world, that would take too long.

Trekk

Registered VIP
I'm a mechanic myself I know plenty about the flat rate world. Still doesn't mean hitting the starter is a good advice to give. Have you no idea how brittle magnets are? If the starter is not bad and he hits it the life span of that starter will be reduced. So you may as well just tell him to replace the starter anyways.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm a mechanic myself I know plenty about the flat rate world. Still doesn't mean hitting the starter is a good advice to give. Have you no idea how brittle magnets are? If the starter is not bad and he hits it the life span of that starter will be reduced. So you may as well just tell him to replace the starter anyways.
ive taken a few apart. idk, i just know ive never had an issue from it

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My father in law fixed my car

It was just a bad battery, my one year old optima took a s**t. My father in law wouldn't let me drive the car anymore and bought me a 2012 Civic LX

I'm happy...and a little sad. I worked my ass off to get the EJ8 where I wanted it.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From personal experience optimas suck d**k!

Told u it wasnt siezed...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't get it?

1) The guy told you the motor was seized but it was just a dead battery? That's shady.

2) Your father in law took your car away? Aren't you 32?

Don't get me wrong, a brand new car is something I wouldn't pass on, but why does he run your life? His daughter must be some special kind of woman!

I am betting and hoping that I just read into it wrong.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya i tried not to think about it too much lol but now that u point it out... :what:

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My father in law fixed my car

It was just a bad battery, my one year old optima took a s**t. My father in law wouldn't let me drive the car anymore and bought me a 2012 Civic LX

I'm happy...and a little sad. I worked my ass off to get the EJ8 where I wanted it.
That's good, but I'd have the EJ8 as a project car rather than a daily. At least you have 2 vehicles unless your FIL took away the car.

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't get it?

1) The guy told you the motor was seized but it was just a dead battery? That's shady.

2) Your father in law took your car away? Aren't you 32?

Don't get me wrong, a brand new car is something I wouldn't pass on, but why does he run your life? His daughter must be some special kind of woman!

I am betting and hoping that I just read into it wrong.
i say "took away" loosely. lol

I told him the car is fine but his argument is that I'm taking the car 20 miles each way every day for the next 2 years and he wasnt taking no for an answer

Trekk

Registered VIP
I'd write a letter to the B.B.B. about that guy and the shop. It's one thing to miss Diag a car, but to try offer you money for it, that's another thing.

A had a friend once that rebuilt a motor, he went cheap on the oil pump and didn't replace it., He drove the car to my house, turned it off, knocked on my door, got me to come out and show it off, went to crank it.... and clunk. Motor froze up.

Optima batteries aren't that bad, just they cost a lot, people don't buy them up fast, so they sit around a long time. By the time you buy it, it might already be 2-3 years old.

Anyways, cool deal, one car fixed and another one that's new, cant beat that.