Somebody with a 96 Hatch do me a favor?

MikeyL

5+ Year Member
Can you check what the part number is for your driver side window?
for some reason, my window is having problems and i'm led to believe the previous owner replaced the windows but with a different non compatible year.

The part number should be located on the bottom right hand corner of the window when it is rolled up. Should Start with something like 43R-XXXXXXX, X's being number's.

thanks! I appreciate it!

also where can I find a good cheap place for replacement? you think it might be worth it to just replace the whole door with a window in it already?

if you care, this is the problems
1.The window constantly pops out of the tracks when rolling the windows up and down
2.when window is about 1cm from the top, I cannot roll up the window all the way without assisting it with my palm against the window and pushing up. if i don't, it sounds as if the manual window regulator is skipping the teeth as I try to crank.
3.When window is about half way down, the crank becomes tight and difficult to roll down/up, If i roll it really fast past the half way point, I have a good chance i'd pop the window off the track.

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your window regulator is bad. its a common issue with hondas specially the 96-00 models. a new window regulator from honda is 66-80 ans a window track is 40-60. most of the time the part number on a window is not on the window itself. that is usually a tracking number. security etching that is done when a car is bought from a car dealership. all my windows minus my passenger have them. there is an 800 number etched into the window under the numbers as well. thats the number for the company that handles that etching. so call honda and get the part number. if the window rolls up and down and fits in the lower track ( the part that it is bolted to to roll up and down. it is the correct window. civics from 96-00 have the same shape and size glass.

MikeyL

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the reply, sorry, i thought that was a part number..
anyway, before I go and purchase myself a new regulator and track, what are some troubleshooting things I can do before I go ahead and purchase a new/used one? to determine if it's actually a bad regulator?

One thing that strikes odd to me is, When I roll up/down the window, If while rolling up/down and i grab the lower left part of the window slide(I don't know what it's called, but the part where the glass window bolts onto the track sliding thing) and pull it towards me while at the same time rolling up the window, it rolls up fairly easy. Is there anything I can actually asses from that? I'm not exactly sure what pulling the slide thing is actually accomplishing because there's so little room to actually see what's going on inside. From my deduction, since the window rolls up/down easily with me pulling on it, i'm assuming something got bent some how? is that a stupid assumption? or should I just shut up and buy a new regulator? by the way, the passenger window also seems coming to the same problem, but fortunately, it still rolls up and down normally.

how much you think a used door with all the window stuff would go for?
would any door from 96-00 hatch fit my 96 hatch?

98civichx said:
your window regulator is bad. its a common issue with hondas specially the 96-00 models. a new window regulator from honda is 66-80 ans a window track is 40-60. most of the time the part number on a window is not on the window itself. that is usually a tracking number. security etching that is done when a car is bought from a car dealership. all my windows minus my passenger have them. there is an 800 number etched into the window under the numbers as well. thats the number for the company that handles that etching. so call honda and get the part number. if the window rolls up and down and fits in the lower track ( the part that it is bolted to to roll up and down. it is the correct window. civics from 96-00 have the same shape and size glass.

ryanM

MikeyL said:
Thanks for the reply, sorry, i thought that was a part number..
anyway, before I go and purchase myself a new regulator and track, what are some troubleshooting things I can do before I go ahead and purchase a new/used one? to determine if it's actually a bad regulator?

One thing that strikes odd to me is, When I roll up/down the window, If while rolling up/down and i grab the lower left part of the window slide(I don't know what it's called, but the part where the glass window bolts onto the track sliding thing) and pull it towards me while at the same time rolling up the window, it rolls up fairly easy. Is there anything I can actually asses from that? I'm not exactly sure what pulling the slide thing is actually accomplishing because there's so little room to actually see what's going on inside. From my deduction, since the window rolls up/down easily with me pulling on it, i'm assuming something got bent some how? is that a stupid assumption? or should I just shut up and buy a new regulator? by the way, the passenger window also seems coming to the same problem, but fortunately, it still rolls up and down normally.

how much you think a used door with all the window stuff would go for?
would any door from 96-00 hatch fit my 96 hatch?
you could take off your door panel and get your window back on its track n stuff, its only a temp solution tho, it will come back off, but if you dont roll it down you'll be fine intill you can fix it

and any door from a 96-00 coupe or hatch will fit

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
since you got an answer i would just like to say that on the main page it says "somebody with a 96 Hatch do me"

good times..... i need to grow up

ryanM

05 said:
since you got an answer i would just like to say that on the main page it says "somebody with a 96 Hatch do me"

good times..... i need to grow up

:laugh:

mracer29

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not totaly sure on a honda but on my old s10 p/u there was a lil plastic clip on the front side and rear of the window to hold the window in the track. Do you have an empty hole in the glass maybe towards the top of the rear of the glass or the bottom of the front of the glass? if so you might be able to just buy the clips and be good to go.................

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The regulator (aka "scissors") is not the true problem of the '96-'00 windows! It's the track in the door that the window slides into. The track ends up getting bent for whatever reason (perhaps a problem with the scissors causes this...) and rolling the window up and down with that damaged track puts stress on the regulator and burns it out. Even cars with manual windows have the same problem, only without the motor.

Go get the track replaced first. DON'T roll yoru window up or down until after the track is replaced. It only increases your chances of the regulator being stressed and breaking cauing you to have to replace a very expensive part.

I've been through the same thing on my '97 EX coupe (power windows) and on my boyfriend's '97 CX hatch (manual windows). Continuing to roll the window up and down or forcing the window up could also damage the rubber seal around the window, so be gentle with it before you end up with even more repairs to pay for.

I replaced the track/sash on my passenger side window of my '97 coupe and never had a problem again.

The part I had replaced at Honda, the "track" is actually called the sash.

For the passenger door (name and part number):
SASH, L. FR. DOOR (LOWER) (FR) 72230-S03-003
SASH, L. FR. DOOR CENTER (LOWER) 72231-S03-003

For the driver's door (name and part number):
SASH, R. FR. DOOR (LOWER) (FR) 72270-S03-003
SASH, R. FR. DOOR CENTER (LOWER) 72271-S03-003