Sound System, Failed bass hits

Decipher

Registered VIP
To give you detailed instructions, we'd need to know the specifications of the amp (it's output capacity at different wiring configurations) and the speakers (load tolerances at different impedances). Then you can determine how you want to load the speakers to that specific amplifier (series or parallel).

Eg Hatch 93

so basically, i just checked the shipping on my infinity reference subs, and theyll be here tomorrow, and then im dropping my car off at my friends very reputable garage in the area and hes doing it right, and soldering everything.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
friends don't let friends install car audio. just sayin'. XD

definitely not something to mess with if you don't know what you're doing. clearly your buddy doesn't either.

i also just thought i'd mention that you don't look at peak power when building a system...

Frodo70444

How long is your ground? It should be as short as possible... Look up your sub type online see how it should be wired at however many ohms your amp is running. Make sure if you are running at 1 ohm your amp is one ohm stable or it's bye bye amp. Oh and make sure you have a class d amp or it will send highs and mids through your subs and ruin them. General rule of thumb is turn the bass all the way down on your head unit because chances are you are just destroying your mids and highs in your car. Oh and not to mention how wiring a major electrical device to a system that wasn't designed to handle it can just ruin things if it isn't done correctly. It would probably be cheaper for you to go to a sound shop and pay them whatever they want than it would be for your car to burn to the ground because you wanted to save 200 bucks.

James315

class d amp not neccessary move your ground to the chasis also like mentioned have it as short as possible longest lenth is 12 inches on a ground for a amp move your rcas away from your power wire if you move them and they next to the remote wire its ok no harm nor distortion find out the rms rating of subs and amp and what there load rating is lower the ohms more power higher less power also if you have filter such as high pass filter (hpf) full or low pass filters (lpf) on your amp which you most likely do if its not a class d amp class d amps arnt just sub amps its just simply with a class d it pushes close to if not all the max rating under the right condition research if anyone wants to question that... but anyways set you filters to lpf make sure your subs arent out of phase if they are they can cancel each other out all that means if you have the positive and negative switched on one sub and also unbridge both suns sense you have a two channel put them on there own seperate channels just simply to make the amp last longer hope this helps....

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can someone get a translator in here please? That gibberish above isn't helping anyone.

Op, good idea taking it in to someone that knows what they are doing. Doing a half ass job like your friend did on your's is not the way to go. Car fires are no joke and that is one waiting to happen.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Can someone get a translator in here please? That gibberish above isn't helping anyone.

Op, good idea taking it in to someone that knows what they are doing. Doing a half ass job like your friend did on your's is not the way to go. Car fires are no joke and that is one waiting to happen.
Shitty gramma but every statement is true

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
James315 is right, but he needs to learn proper punctuation!

Eg Hatch 93

okay so i had left my car at my friends house for about 3 days, he ripped everything the original installer put in, out, and started from scratch, took all my back seats, trunk, driver seat, and left side panels out, laid all the wires completely hidden, soldered everything, put connectors on everything, etc etc, anyway, bass hits hard as hell now, 2 problems, the first kid to try and put everything in, burnt out my capacitor, so now i dont have a capacitor until he buys me a new one, which thankfully he agreed too, but today i was driving home on a bumpy road, and my bass was hitting, all of a sudden i hit a bump and all my bass stops working, but my door speakers are still hitting, so i get home, my amp wasnt in protection mode or anything, it was on, i used a test light and checked all my wires/fuses, and theyre all fine, what wires should i check behind my head unit? idk what possibly could have happened.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You don't need a cap.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
R u door speakers connected to the amp? If not that's why the still worked. If your getting power the amp n signal threw the speaker wire your gonna have to see if the subs r any good. Using a, multimeter check the resistance on the voice coils. If the sub us rated foe 2 ohms then both voice coils should be In the 2ohn range. + - .1 - .2

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yup sound like the ground came loose and make sure this idiot charges the capacitor before he puts it in im guessing he didn't and thats why its busted that s**t can explode.

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there are a few things, i'd recommend.

the crossover frequency is often the biggest issue and easy to tune. make sure at the head unit you are controlling it correctly.

also at the amp, there will be a crossover of sort, often able to be adjusted by a screwdriver. on the speakers, in the pics, i dont see the negative for the speaker even hooked up and 2 wires for each speaker going to the positive speaker terminal.....

i had 1 10" sony crap in my car and blew the sunroof off (granted, the box was insanely expensive). you SHOULD hear it hit pretty good with what you have.

start from the beginning:
ground
power
memory/signal
speakers wired correctly
headunit settings
amp settings
amp, speaker integrity
fuses

from this list you SHOULD be able to google what you need to know.

also dont run the RCAs on the same side of the car as the power wire. i usually run power on one side and signal/RCA on the other.

the rating of the speakers being so high over the amp should have no effect on how much the amp produces, only if it were vice versa.

i'd say ground, or crossover settings.