speedometer quit working today.

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
worked fine when i came home from work this morning. when i went to leave for class, nothing. and its only the speedo. everything else still works fine. havent had time to mess with it today. would like advice on testing the individual components to rule out having to buy a new vss, and speedometer. read an other thread from a couple years ago to check the wire, and the cel light is on but has been since i bought the car. i will have it checked tomorrow.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
worked fine when i came home from work this morning. when i went to leave for class, nothing. and its only the speedo. everything else still works fine. havent had time to mess with it today. would like advice on testing the individual components to rule out having to buy a new vss, and speedometer. read an other thread from a couple years ago to check the wire, and the cel light is on but has been since i bought the car. i will have it checked tomorrow.
You should never daily drive a car with a CEL. You won't know if any other problems appear. As for the speedometer is your odometer still clocking miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJ

Banned
PULL THE CODE. You should have done this before creating the thread. Then reset the ECU to see whether the code(s) repeat.

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You should never daily drive a car with a CEL. You won't know if any other problems appear. As for the speedometer is your odometer still clocking miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
because the only code it has ever thrown since i got it was 41 for the o2 sensor.

just pulled them again and got 41 and 17. ill be getting a new vss tomorrow if i can find one around here.

RonJ

Banned
A bad VSS plug is a much more common problem than a bad VSS. Reset the ECU now to see whether both codes return.

If so, also measure the resistance of the heater element of the O2 sensor to see if it's the cause of code 41.

rayaccord101

Registered VIP
my buddies also does this his is a 98 when he turns his car on the speedo bounces to 20 a couple times and just stays stuck at 20 and the mileage doesnt work either. When we checked the codes it was giving it said something about the crank sensor. so maybe thats ur problem?

los94

same thing

mine is also not working it bounces and it acts like it wants to work but then it goes back down and stays at the zero what cud it be ?