Squealing noise at certain rpms

Hllywood

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
5+ Year Member
Hello Hello

I own a 1997 Honda civic ex now that it has gotten colder out my car started squealing at certain rpms I have noticed that when you put the car in neutral during the noise it stops right away.

http://youtu.be/oGu_gz6zv7I

Could it be a belt or maybe even a bearing?

Thanks for the help on this, it is really annoying and i want to get it fixed asap!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's more than likely a belt. Not sure what else could cause a squeal to be honest. Belt's can squeal if they are worn or too tight. Open your hood and use the throttle lever on the throttle body to rev the engine up and try to pinpoint the noise.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
yeha that sounds like a belt. do what john says, belts are pretty easy to replace and rather cheap.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i agree with john. to add, if it is the belt check it for cracks, or check the play in the belt. if it is cracked, replace it. if there is alot of play in the belt, check the tensioner (if you do not have any accesories like me, you may not have a tensioner and you will need to tighten the belt via the alternator)

or soemtimes belts just squeal when its cold out. if the belt is still in good condition you can dry some belt dressing spray

sdanville

5+ Year Member
if a belt is too tight it squeals ? I thought belts stretched with age and slipped so it would need to be tightened.

I replaced my alternator belt last year. Now on warm days where things expand it makes noise. On cold days it starts out quiet until it warms up. It took about an hour to change the thing last year. not looking forward to crawling under the car again to
get to the bottom bolt.

According to this thread I should loosen it. go figure.

2) I wasted $7 on belt dressing. that helped for 15 miles.