Starting to think about rotors

OneFastGSR

Registered VIP
Whenever I got them out I used a impact screwdriver, Basically a screwdriver tool, You put the bit size you need on, put it on the screw. Than hit the end of it with a hammer real hard, Just keep hitting it with a hammer real hard until it starts unscrewing it. Worked on mine just fine Here's a link to it $6.99 harbor freight

Also might add that those screws are not necessary, Once you remove them it's your choice to put them back in or not. They're just for production assembly as mentioned above by someone

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea, perhaps I'll grab both the drill bit I need and an impact screwdriver when I head to the hardware store tomorrow. Glad it's not just me! :lol: I wish I had known about them when I first got the car. I would have just removed them then to save me some time down the road. Lesson learned!

Anyway, I plan on trying again tomorrow. I'll post an update afterward.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've only seen them on Hondas, they're so stupid. My WRX had holes there but no place for the screw to sit in the hub. Their screw holes are for popping the rotors off. Much better idea if you ask me.

I had to practically hammer a small 1/4" phillips bit in the screw and use a small socket to take them out. Worked for me. Screws went directly into the trash.
They are on most german cars as well. At least on the ones I have worked with (Porsche, VW, Audi).

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I got mine off my DA, you can get yours off. Take two ball peen hammers, set one on the screw and smack it with the other hammer. Hasn't failed me yet, but DO WEAR EYE PROTECTION.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Going to bring the car to a shop...

Couldn't get the screws off. Tried an impact hammer. Tried drilling into them. In the end, I couldn't get either method to work. I went to remove the caliper bolts to see if I had drilled in deeply enough. Caliper bolts just spin and won't loosen. I tried to get a grip on the other side. Couldn't get a good enough grip.

I have literally had problems every step of the way (tight lug nuts. Stripped bolts. Caliper bolt issues) and spent the entire weekend trying to put these damned things on.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Replace the caliper bracket and calipers. Seems like the threads are cross threaded.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No need to replace the whole caliper unless there is something wrong with it. There shouldn't be threads on the caliper, the bolts go through the slider to the bracket on a 6th gen do they not?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I meant if the caliper isn't working replace it, but the brackets threads are probably shot if the bolts just spin. Simple fix if you can buy the bracket or repair the threads.

sikswic

Black Caulk or White?
No need to replace the whole caliper unless there is something wrong with it. There shouldn't be threads on the caliper, the bolts go through the slider to the bracket on a 6th gen do they not?
I believe so.

I took my hell screws out by drilling them since I stripped them out, took a little while but they budged and then I just sanded down the excess metal that was left behind cause my rotor wouldnt seat properly

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ that's what I did. Those screws aren't needed anyways.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Doesn't Joe have a 7th gen, or I missed something? I know the 6th gens thread into a slider in the bracket that has a flared end that holds against the bracket to keep it from turning. I have no idea about a 7th gen. Most cars that age I've seen are setup the same way, so I would think that's the case...

Tough luck on the brake job man. That's some bulls***....

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm guessing we are all talking about #17 and 12 on the 6th gen, #13 and 18 on the 7th. So they essentially are the same set ups in the sense that they slide in and the caliper mounts to those.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yup. Almost all cars with rotors are like that. That's how a sliding caliper works.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:lol:

Yea, I have a 7th gen. I took the car to Midas today and had them put in the pads and rotors. It only cost $75. s***. I would have given up a lot earlier had I known it was only going to cost that :lol:. The research I did online said it would be between $200 and $350. Oh well. All done now. The braking is soooo much better.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Doesn't Joe have a 7th gen, or I missed something? I know the 6th gens thread into a slider in the bracket that has a flared end that holds against the bracket to keep it from turning. I have no idea about a 7th gen. Most cars that age I've seen are setup the same way, so I would think that's the case...

Tough luck on the brake job man. That's some bulls***....
Sorry, meant 7th gen, but then again most civics are the same style with the sliding pins. If it is the bolt going into the pin, he would just have to replace the bolt and pin. If it is the bolt that holds the bracket on, he will need to replace the bracket and bolt.

Still no need to replace the caliper in either instance and no where in the thread has he reported any problems with the calipers so jumping to the replacement theory is just throwing money away at this point.

:lol:

Yea, I have a 7th gen. I took the car to Midas today and had them put in the pads and rotors. It only cost $75. s***. I would have given up a lot earlier had I known it was only going to cost that :lol:. The research I did online said it would be between $200 and $350. Oh well. All done now. The braking is soooo much better.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Congrats on being back on the road. :thumbs up

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea. I was really looking forward to this job, too. It was the first time I was actually going to be able to sit and work on my car for a few years. Well, I did sit and work on it.. Spent about 8 hours throughout the weekend, but it was a very frustrating 8 hours of little success and lots of running back and forth between stores. Just glad I have some decent brakes at this point!

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sometimes we all need a little help with the projects. At least you've learned of the problems ahead of time so next time it should be a breeze.

Whenever I install new suspension on any Civic/Integra I purchase, I bring it to the shop and have them replace the LCA's with aftermarket ones and new OEM honda bolts so I don't have to deal with it :lol: