Steam Where It Doesn't Belong

JoEX

I started my car this morning, and it bogged for a few seconds and slowly stumbled upward until it reached cold idle and idled smoothly.

I thought maybe I was just imagining things, so I shut it off, and started it again. It stumbled a bit, but not as noticeably as before. Once more to be sure, and it started up smoothly (like normal).

I popped the hood and observed my D16Z6 warming up, and after about ten seconds, a very noticeable amount of steam started rising from the valve cover. When I say this, I mean it was coming from the valve cover gasket in the front of the head only. After maybe twenty seconds of steaming, it stopped. The engine's idle didn't seem to be affected in any way during this steaming event, it was running smoothly.

My coolant reservoir was dry, so I added coolant there and to the radiator as well.
Driving home the car warmed up within four to five minutes of casual driving (about 40F external temp), and remained at a steady temperature (just under halfway mark). Performance didn't seem to be affected in any way, although I didn't really rev over 3K on my test drive. My car hasn't ever overheated (in my ownership), nor have I ever noticed irregular temperature readings on the cluster gauge.

So now that you have the story, what do you think? Am I looking at a head gasket issue? I drive daily, and the last time I checked my coolant was about a month ago. I'd say I put in less than a quart of coolant this morning to get back to full.

TL;DR
Steam from valve cover at cold start only. Low on coolant. Help?

Thank you, and happy holidays/new years.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I think for steam to come from the VC, you'd have to have a break in the head gasket as well as a bad valve seal (1 or more). It doesn't sound like you're burning too much coolant but it'll probably start to get worse as time goes on. When the car is off and cooled down, open the valve cover and see what the oil looks like. If it's milky looking, that would be proof coolant/water is getting into your VC.

JoEX

Thank you for the response. I fear a head gasket and valve seals are in the future. :(
If/when I take the valve cover off, I'll post my findings here.

emerican

Registered VIP
check the oil and get back to us

JoEX

I finally got around to pulling the valve cover. Milky-looking residue on the inside of the valve cover. I took a couple pics, will update shortly.

JoEX

My mechanic buddy suggests that after I've removed the head, I should have a valve job done, visually inspect the block for wear or damage, and also check the bottom of the head for flatness. This will be my first head gasket job.

I hate to put time and money into this engine when I'd much rather b-swap, but I've got like $500 to my name and need my car to get places.

Here's pics of the white goop under my valve cover.

sixwhip14

5+ Year Member
Yeah that doesn't look good. Especially in the first pic. It's not the biggest job in the world though. Get a Hayne's manual if you don't have one. Get familiar with the job. Read and read again. A good machine shop can check out your head and freshen it up and it won't be expensive. You might need valve seals if anything. Throw on an oem headgasket and you're on your way. Good luck.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Before you start pulling things apart, do a leak down test. It'll help show you exactly what is going on and what work needs to be done.

JoEX

Hopefully the dealership in town will have D16Y8 gaskets in stock.. Otherwise I'll have to wait on shipping. I don't know if I can trust NAPA's gasket.
Does anybody have experience with NAPA's gasket (think I read they are fel-pro)?

As for the compression testing, I can probably do that tomorrow. If/when, I'll post results.

DuckIt

I've never had good luck with felpros. Use oem, they're like 3 dollars more then felpro. Just go to the dealership a day or 2 before you do the job. Or you could order it from majestic honda.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do both a compression test and a leak down test for best answers. They are different.