Steering Feel Issue: Bump/Play along with intermittent Blinker Cancel

AlohaEJ8

Okay, so this is not so much a huge issue just something I want to look into.

To start off, my power steering seems to be functioning fine, but I have this odd situation happening. When my steering feels the smoothest and normal, my blinker will not "auto-cancel", like when I put it on and go around a turn you don't hear the click and it won't turn itself off.

Now sometimes, my steering will feel like it has some play in it, and almost like there is a middle "zone" and when you get to the edge in either direction there is a little more pressure needed to steer. The steering feels almost heavier during this. Oddly, the blinker will correctly auto-cancel like its supposed to when this is happening.

It seems completely random, sometimes I'll drive and it will be the one scenario and other times its the other way.

Any ideas? Steering wheel play suggests tie rods but I don't believe this to be the issue because the play isn't always there. And when it is there its not necessarily play, more of just an odd feeling? And I'm assuming the blinker cancel is part of this because it changes with the feel.

tekfoc

5+ Year Member
Steering rack most likely needs replacement .
I'm having the same issue .
Sometimes it tightens up after driving for a while .

AlohaEJ8

Steering rack most likely needs replacement .
I'm having the same issue .
Sometimes it tightens up after driving for a while .
Maybe, although I doubt my rack needs to be replaced. Mine isn't necessarily loose, the slack isn't really the usual definition of slack. The wheels turn at even the slightest movement of the wheel, it just has an odd feeling to it. I noticed my drive to work in the morning it will have the issue present, then when I start my car later to leave work its the other scenario.

I'm going to get some OEM Honda PS fluid and try flushing the system. Might also get some Energy Suspension bushings for the rack. Again, not a huge issue I just figured I'd look into it.

RonJ

Banned
Also pull off the steering wheel and check the cancel mechanism for damage and incorrect installation.

rberq

Also pull off the steering wheel and check the cancel mechanism for damage and incorrect installation.
And when you are getting ready to pull off the steering wheel, make sure there is no play where the wheel attaches to the steering column shaft.:cry: