Steering Wheel Kicking

reichbc

"Brandon"
First off, I don't know if this is in the right section, but i would assume it has to do with the engine.

99 Civic Si

I was driving down a straight road into town, doing about 70-ish. Decent crosswind, 20-30MPH or so i would guess. I let off my gas pedal a bit to let the car's speed level out and right as I did it, my steering wheel kicked to the left, and it kicked HARD. Hard, as in if I had been holding on any less than I was, I would have wrecked.

So i decide to troubleshoot it a bit (at 70MPH hah.) so i scoot into the next lane and gas it. When i let off the gas, sure enough, it started kicking to the left again. At that point, I turned around and came home (big u-turn in the middle of the highway) and I tried to repeat it again, and nothing happened.

I noticed yesterday that going around a turn, it was kinda bumping a bit but that's all I could say about that.

Any ideas? I was thinking it could be the power steering pump or something associated with it, but that's my amateur guess.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sounds like suspension components have some SERIOUS play, check your tie rod ends, lower ball joint, upper ball joint and bushings.

reichbc

"Brandon"
I looked under the car at the suspension components... the only thing that i could SEE that was remotely loose was my sway bar, which had one of the bushing bolts stripped and worn. Lots of play, but you can drive a car safely without a sway bar can't you?

I've also noticed noise in my left fenderwell when i hit small bumps... i always think it's cause of the cold outside