Still can't get the car to run, what now?

tomp

I had a problem with my 1991 honda civic a few weeks back, and after 2 weeks at the mechanics, still can't get it to run correctly. Let me give the details

Leaving work, car started drove it about 3 miles, took the on ramp on the highway, and as soon as i got off the ramp, Check Engine light came on, car had NO power, and it stayed running, as i coasted to the side of the road.
The car would idle, but wouldn't rev over 1,000 rpm's.
A minute of so after i stopped, and the car stalled out, smoke came out from underneath the car. After a few minutes, the smoke calmed down, i opened the hood, the engine seemed fine, but as i looked down, i could see the catalytic converter(i think that is what it was) glowing a BRIGHT orange, like it was ready to catch on fire.
It cooled down, the car would start right up, never overheated, but would not go faster than a few MPH's.
I took it to the garage, and after 2 weeks, the mechanic said he ran the computer codes(which i don't believe), but couldn't do anything with the cat or exhaust system , because he didn't have torches or the right tools.
I just got it out of there, i was a little pissed that after 13 days, the car is in no different condition than before.
What got me thinking about when he supposedly read the computer codes, is if he actually did anything.
I have read that for a 1991 civic, there is only 1 way to read them , and that is to short out the 2 plugs inside a green harness, and count the blinks from the check engine light.
So i guess this is where i should begin on tuesday, if this is the proper procedure to start to figure out what exactly is wrong with this car.
Btw, the car is an automatic, Civic Lx, with 65,000 original miles.
I am somewhat familiar with Nissan 300zx's, and this is the 1st Honda i have ever owned.
So if anyone has ever had a similar situation, with the engine light coming on, no power, and a cat converter that turns red/orange, could you tell me what your problem ended up being.
I would also like someone to tell me the proper procedure , if possible, to read these engine codes, and if shorting out the green harness is the correct way to do this. Thank you!!.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
OBD0 hondas, flip the key on and off and on and look throught the little window on the ecu and count the flashes, search google for the codes

tomp

OBD0 hondas, flip the key on and off and on and look throught the little window on the ecu and count the flashes, search google for the codes
I have the Haynes, but like i said, i thought the problem began and ended with the catalytic converter heating up like the sun.
But of course, the mechanic did not do anything remotely near there, even though i explained exactly what happened, when the car stopped running.
I just read somewhere else, that there is a green harness that needs to be disconnected, then shorted out with a paper clip, and then i am supposed to count the blinks using the check engine light as the guide.

That is why i am a little confused about reading the codes.
So does this green harness even exist on this car?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
since that site says cars after 92 are not equipped with OBD2, Im going to lean towards that site having the wrong info. 88-91 OBD0 92-95 OBD1

If your ecu has a little hole on it like a peep hole on door do what I said. I had a b16 91 integra and it was obd0, thats what i had to do.

tomp

since that site says cars after 92 are not equipped with OBD2, Im going to lean towards that site having the wrong info. 88-91 OBD0 92-95 OBD1

If your ecu has a little hole on it like a peep hole on door do what I said. I had a b16 91 integra and it was obd0, thats what i had to do.
I will do it the way you suggested. I was just getting some different info that is all. Do i need to start by pulling the 7.5 amp fuse, and or the battery terminals off, to reset the computer?. Or do you recommend that is a step i can avoid doing?. I just want to do it right, so that is why i am being extra cautious.
I want to get this car running nice again, like it did until that night of hell i experienced. I would like to get it up on the car ramps, but i don't think there is enough power . That catalytic converter is still a mystery to me.
I just don't know why the mechanic, who has a lift, didn't even seem to investigate any of the problems that could have caused.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
doesnt yours have flanges? you cant get under there and unbolt it from the header and shine a flashlight down there?

dont reset anything yet just check the codes, see what it is first, if you want reset it and see if they come back. I just unhook my battery for a few mins

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most likely he has a clogged cat. Could be bad Injectors pushing out too much fuel burning in the cat

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
wouldnt he have noticed poor fuel economy or something

even if that is the case and the cat is clogged, he still has to remove and clean/replace/remove it

tomp

wouldnt he have noticed poor fuel economy or something

even if that is the case and the cat is clogged, he still has to remove and clean/replace/remove it
I was going to start codes/ removing cat, but since i live in St pete florida, we are going through a massive, and i mean massive rain storm at the moment.

I started the car, it ran rough, and it seems like gas is dripping out of the exhaust pipe. Is that a tell tale sign of anything?

tomp

ran codes

First time , it gave me a 4 and a 16. Drove the car around a little bit, pulled out hazard fuse to reset ECC, and then got a 4 , 16, and an 8.
Car never overheated, and i was able to get the idle to about 3 ,00 rpms, but only for a second or 2.
I noticed when i started the car for the first time, that it popped little drops of water out of the exhaust, maybe for a minute , then it stopped.

The car idles fine, just when you give it gas is when it sputters, and shakes.
I also noticed after my little ride down the street, some white smoke coming from the exhaust, not a lot but i could visibly see a little cloud of it.

OK, so where should i begin my fix?. I guess the cat converter maybe is not the problem after all?.
According to problem code 4 and 8, they are both in the distributor, which doesn't look too old, but i realize that means little.
The bad injector or plural maybe the reason for the red hot cat, i suppose?.

I don't know, i just did the testing, found my Haynes manual, and after supper i am going to try to decipher some stuff .in it.
Anybody have suggestions?, or ideas what way i should begin to tackle this problem?. Thank you!!.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
are you sure its fuel coming from your exhaust, I find it crazy it went through the cylinder and through a red hot cat without exploding or evaporating before it reached the end.

4 is crank position sensor

8 is TDC position

16 is bad injector(s)

I would re-time the car, make sure I have a good crank sensor, remove the cat, replace injectors or narrow down which injector it is

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe your mistaking the fuel out the exhaust with water. Sometimes water will come out the exhaust. Next time you see it just touch it and smell

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Most likely he has a clogged cat. Could be bad Injectors pushing out too much fuel burning in the cat
This. If you have any muffler shops around you, take it to them and have them pull off the cat for inspection (or do it yourself)... Usually they know what they're looking for if it's clogged opposed to you just starting through it hoping to see something there.

This is random and wild, but if you say the liquid coming off your exhaust is GAS... then you could possibly have a leak in your tank and it's just dripping onto the exhaust/cat and the heat is just making it glow. Again, this is random and wild; just something that popped into my head lol.

tomp

Maybe your mistaking the fuel out the exhaust with water. Sometimes water will come out the exhaust. Next time you see it just touch it and smell
It was water, not fuel. I had gas on my hands and gloves which was throwing me off. I took a drop and tasted it. Absolutely H20, with a little white smoke besides that.