Stock Headlights with HID?

SevenSeries

Hey I was wondering if stock headlights can have HIDs? *Probably a stupid question*
I didn't want to go projection halos. I just wanted brighter headlights. I was hoping for either 8-10-12k?
Is it just a light bulb change?

Thanks in advance.

Vitaliy93

Hey I was wondering if stock headlights can have HIDs? *Probably a stupid question*
I didn't want to go projection halos. I just wanted brighter headlights. I was hoping for either 8-10-12k?
Is it just a light bulb change?

Thanks in advance.
yes you can put hids in stock headlights. 8-10-12K will be a downgrade in terms of road visibility. So if you want to see less at night compared to stock headlights, go for the 8-10-12K.

DaOne

6k Max. for the better visibility

Ron...

5+ Year Member
The higher the light temp you go, the less visability you will have. 4300 is best visability, 5000 is next, etc etc. If you want to see better, get some 5000k light bulbs and pop em in. If you wanna be super cool and conform to everyone else, get 10 or 12.

SevenSeries

Ok thank you. I was under the impression that the higher the kandle the more visibilty. So what's halo projectors then? Sorry for all the stupid question.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
anything you buy with projectors already in it are garbage they will leak crack and uv coating will break down fast and the light output will also suck from cheap lenses . if anything get a set of morimoto miniprojectors and retro fit your stock headlights there are a million DIYs on the procedure.the morimotos screw in to you headlight so there is no cutting involved. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=221

pinoiballa14

Deretsiger Resu
go to ddmtuning and buy hids. i got mine for 80. just get the relay harness, its an extra 12 bucks but that'll save you time from splicing. And i have a 8k hids at 35w. 55w would have caused a glare. and the 35w 8k hids are fine and they will be blue.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go to ddmtuning and buy hids. i got mine for 80. just get the relay harness, its an extra 12 bucks but that'll save you time from splicing. And i have a 8k hids at 35w. 55w would have caused a glare. and the 35w 8k hids are fine and they will be blue.
You get glare regardless of what the wattage is. The glare is because the stock housings aren't made for H.I.D.s and the light scatters. You need to retrofit something that was meant to have H.I.D.s like a projector out of an Audi, Lexus, TSX, etc. if you want to eliminate the glaring/light scatter.

BonyCatfish

So really, the glare shouldn't be too bad if you get like an 8k 55w because they won't be incredibly bright compared to like 4300s?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Glare is still going to be terrible no matter what Kelvin rating you go with to be honest. 8k will give the on coming drivers a blue/white glare instead of a white or a yellow.

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have 6k hids in mine and have had them for 5 or so years with no problems. Among the full spectrum 6k has the best light output to me. But as my own disclaimer if you do go with the plug n plug hid kit get ready to adjust your headlights. It took me several attempts of adjusting and driving around paying attention on how the light affects oncoming drivers. Now after you get them adjusted you will still have scattered light pattern, it will just be a "little" more controled. Hope that helps.

BonyCatfish

I have 6k hids in mine and have had them for 5 or so years with no problems. Among the full spectrum 6k has the best light output to me. But as my own disclaimer if you do go with the plug n plug hid kit get ready to adjust your headlights. It took me several attempts of adjusting and driving around paying attention on how the light affects oncoming drivers. Now after you get them adjusted you will still have scattered light pattern, it will just be a "little" more controled. Hope that helps.
Thanks. Can I ask if those 6k you have are 35w or 55w? Because apparently that makes a difference. I saw some really ugly deep blue ones on a silver civic today and I got really concerned about how my HIDs would look if I got them.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If they were really deep blue they were likely 10k. Mine are 8k and they have a very light blue tint to them. 6k ddm kit should be white with a slight blue in 35w and just white in 55w. 55w is not needed though if you want my honest opinion. It seems to be very popular but it is just not needed. The 35w kits are plenty bright enough.