Street Bikes

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My brother recently got the newest gixxer 600. And it's his first bike EVER. He says its way too much power, even for a beginner. I heard from a lot of experienced bikers that Kawasaki's old school Ninja's make the best beginner bikes. Not sure which though.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
....Kawasaki's old school Ninja's make the best beginner bikes. Not sure which though.
Not the ZX600A, B and C models

The ZX600C (Ninja 600R from 87.5 up) is fairly quick for a stroked 400cc motor and weighs in less than 400 lbs but it has 110/90/16 front and 130/90/16 rear. Small skinny tires that make the bike "twitchy". An experienced rider can take advantage of the increased agility but a noobie is not going to respond well to having smaller tires than a GS500E.

But the motor is durable

The ZX600A is just heavier. The ZX600B (Ninja 600RX) is too rare to worry about

Tiso

Tello !
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So, I would be in the wrong getting a Honda CBR 600 ?

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honda>Suzuki brake to easily
If you had said Yamaha break too easily, I probably wouldn't have said anything.

But my Suzukis have been every bit as reliable as my Hondas so I call bullshit on you.

The guys on the Yamahas seemed to always have one problem or another though and don't get me started on the Ducatis:Devil:

Ducati is Italian for "Take it to the dealer and bend over."

ryanM

The 1st gen CBR600 is a decent bike. As reliable as the Ninja 600R and Katana 600 from that period....and performs roughly the same. Even that CBR600F1 from like '91 or so. It'll run even with a kan-a-tuna and get edged out by the Ninja.

It would be roughly a 15-20 year old bike though. First thing I'd do if I found a clean 1g CBR/Hurricane is change the tires, swingarm bushings, chain and sprockets, all the fluids, plugs, and clean the carburetors
the bike is super clean, has really low miles. its been sitting in a heated storage for years since he bought a new bike. it looked like a beginner friendly bike. but im clueless when it comes to motorcycles.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As long as the gas hasn't gone bad and varnished the carburetors it'll be a great bike. :thumbs up

They are suprisingly comfortable for what amounts to Honda's ultimate 600 from that time. Really comfortable. I'm kinda' jealous

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the bike is super clean, has really low miles. its been sitting in a heated storage for years since he bought a new bike. it looked like a beginner friendly bike. but im clueless when it comes to motorcycles.
I'd say go for it.
And if you do drop it, no big deal. That's the thing about alot of the squids out there. They run out and buy a brand new bike as their first one, and when they drop it, they've got a $500 fairing to replace. Funny as hell.

Ducati is Italian for "Take it to the dealer and bend over."
:rolf::rolf:

ryanM

I'd say go for it.
And if you do drop it, no big deal. That's the thing about alot of the squids out there. They run out and buy a brand new bike as their first one, and when they drop it, they've got a $500 fairing to replace. Funny as hell.

:rolf::rolf:
yea, it wouldnt be a huge deal, hell, if i did drop it and have to replace a fairing i would probably just repaint the whole bike flat black or something instead of having it painted.

i would still hate myself if i dumped it tho :lol:

Tiso

Tello !
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
600cc CBR to much for a first time rider then or will I just need to know how to control the throttle and not ride it like an a*****e?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Why don't you just start out with an old school cruiser or something? My brother complains a lot about having to lean forward on a sport bike. His back/wrists hurt after like 30-60 mins of riding from leaning forward and having his body weight on his hands.

Just get a cheap old school cruiser or something not as powerful as a sport bike to learn.

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why don't you just start out with an old school cruiser or something? My brother complains a lot about having to lean forward on a sport bike. His back/wrists hurt after like 30-60 mins of riding from leaning forward and having his body weight on his hands.

Just get a cheap old school cruiser or something not as powerful as a sport bike to learn.
Tell him to sit a little straighter. Wind will do wonders of relieving weight on your wrists as you ride. It's silly to be laying down over the bike unless you're racing or in really harsh weather.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
600cc CBR to much for a first time rider then or will I just need to know how to control the throttle and not ride it like an a*****e?

no it is not. I learned on a 750cc nighthawk, and that was not even to much. I take my father's cbr 600rr almost 4 times a wk. An its fine, but if u have not road dirtbikes and s**t when u were younger, and just the general stuff. I suggest you get a beater $400 bike to learn on.

You will lay it down sometime also. I think most people have laid down a bike sometime as they road. I laid down the nighthawk going 25-30mph around a corner when i was learning. An what I learned was don't brake in corners lol

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You will lay it down sometime also. I think most people have laid down a bike sometime as they road. I laid down the nighthawk going 25-30mph around a corner when i was learning. An what I learned was don't brake in corners lol
:word:
It's usually not a question of if you lay it down, but when you lay it down.
I have a metal plate in each forearm to prove it, :lol:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no it is not. I learned on a 750cc nighthawk, and that was not even to much. I take my father's cbr 600rr almost 4 times a wk. An its fine, but if u have not road dirtbikes and s**t when u were younger, and just the general stuff. I suggest you get a beater $400 bike to learn on.

Dude, seriously.

There's a HUGE 'effin difference between a 750 Nighthawk and a CBR600.

The 750 Nighthawk runs the 1/4 in the mid 12's. (12.54???) A tick faster than an EX500 Ninja. A talented EX rider can easily keep up with the Nighthawk. My GSF400 Bandit could outrun one to 90 and often did.

The CBR600RR? teh Nighthawk isn't even close

And about the cruisers? I HATE forward controls. Footpegs way out in front of you suck rhino ass, throw your balance off, prevent you from lifting your body weight off your ass over railroad tracks and focus all your weight squarely on your tailbone. A freind of mine has a 1400 Intruder and I would like it if it had the footpegs back under my ass where they belong. BUT NO. I have to point my toes down on the freeway or fight the wind and push back against the pegs forcing even more weight on my tailbone.

Cruisers are for people that only like the image of being a motorcyclist. Not for people that really enjoy riding motorcycles.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
cool, thanks for the facts I do not care about. So dude seriously , I don't give a s**t I was stating what i learned on. Yea I know what is it capable of I could barely get it about 120mph, besides on the other hand the cbr I take it up with ease.

An the cbr is not to much of a bike to first get if you have some experience with bikes.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
R1 or GSX-R ftw

Not as a first bike.

I'm in favor of a graduated motorcycle licensing system like Japan or some European countries
50-124cc 1st
125-399 cc 2nd
400+ final

Of course we'd have to modify it somewhat for the bikes availiable in our market

Like:
-50cc licensed as a moped. written test and small skill test.
50-250 1st license
250-600 2nd
600+ final

Open class bike for a noobie is stupid.

Probably worse than those idiots who's first bikes are those "store bought" choppers.
It takes a bit of skill to ride a raked out hardtail with a 300 wide tire on the back and here these wannabe "bikers" are paddling and wobbling all over the place when the light turns green.

I used to pull up next to them and say, "what's up paddlefoot."
"who you calling paddlefoot?"
"you. for the way you wobble and paddle with your feet when you take off."