stretching tires?

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Looks unsafe to me, maybe if I was a VW I would change my mind.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How exactly do they stretch they tires so they stay? Just pull and it eventually catches or something?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
not sure how that would help you slide, the only thing that seems like it would slide is the tire off the wheel

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How exactly do they stretch they tires so they stay? Just pull and it eventually catches or something?
You use brake fluid and spray around inside the tire on the rim while the tire is already mounted, then light it while it has weights on it and the beads should seat right away, then start filling it with air before the vacuum inside the tire sucks itself in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-LnkEUAImU

Another method is to use a bicycle tire tube, explained in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzxHYEdA8Qo

Or use a ratcheting tie down straps and tighten the s**t out of the circumference of the tire forcing the beads onto the rim.

Here's a good example of cramming in wide and larger rims with thinner tires to fit on a lowered car.

In performance terms, it is popular among drifting culture, because the tire has less contact patch, and it is easier for it to slide sideways because the edges of the tires/sidewalls are sloped. Stretched tires are popular among Euro cars and old school imports like the AE86.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dont look to safe

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
A little bit of stretch like taht CRX looks nice, but anything more and then it looks goofy.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I realy like the way it looks. I don't like how a tire will sit flush against the wheel. I like the curves of a stretched tire ona rim..but nothing too stretched.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You don't have to do any of that stuff to get them on there, I've done it many times and you just need a lot of lubrication and it takes some patience. It's a b***h but you can do it like any other tire. It's really stupid, your tires will wear like s**t and it's more likely than not you'll end up with one shredded before the tires are ready to be replaced.

dreamin

5+ Year Member
Makes me think of a hotwheel car...not sure if I like or not - don't think I'll be doin it to mine tho doesn't look safe at all - what happens if you rail a corner?

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i love how it looks. that would suck to seat the bead though..
It's really easy once you know how to do it, there are several methods of doing it. I listed some of them above in one of my earlier posts.

JDMneeds

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i like the look but it doesn't seem to be that safe for your sidewalls at all IMO tooo risky :drive:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I really think its plenty safe, as long as your not doing any crazy cornering. It's fine for normal driving.